Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Start Menu Suddenly Moved!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 picturethatbre17

picturethatbre17

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

I have an issue that I have never experienced before. My "start menu" at the bottom of my screen had randomly and suddenly moved to the complete right side of the screen, and I can't figure out why it moved or what I did to have made that happen.

At the time that this suddenly occurred, I was simply browsing music on the enternet through Mozilla Firefox windows. I don't know if perhaps a link online that I had clicked may have caused my computer to do this odd transition. I was looking at sites, and my computer seemed to slow down a bit, then my Start Menu at the bottom of my screen was suddenly on the right side, and has remained this way.I was still viewing a few windows with many tabs at that moment.

How can I move it back? Is it perhaps a sign that my computer may be coming down with a virus? I do know that I have viruses in my Ad-Aware quarantine. And I have not restarted or turned off my computer since this happened yesterday. Perhaps it may be related? Please help me!!

Brenna-
Microsoft Windows 2000

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 16 July 2006 - 06:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:11 PM

Brenna,

Hello and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

By start menu, are you referring to the task bar that by default is usually located at the bottom edge of the desktop? If so, you can click on the taskbar and drag it to any location you desire, top, sides or bottom. If you right click on the taskbar you have the option of locking or unlocking to make changes. It may not have been "locked" and you may have inadvertently dragged it to it's present location. Check to make sure it is unlocked, by right clicking on the taskbar. Then drag it to where you want it. You can then right click again and lock it in place. Hope this helps. Also there are some additional taskbar tips here.

Be (Locked Taskbar) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 picturethatbre17

picturethatbre17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:27 PM

Thankyou VERY much Animal. I dragged the task bar to the bottom edge and it stayed! I thought that it was much more complicated than that!! You made it so easy to understand. Now I feel a little dumb for not trying that myself. Thanks again!

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:37 PM

Brenna,

I am glad you were able to understand my directions and resolve your problem. You are very welcome and your kind words make it all worthwhile. Hope to see you around the forums. :thumbsup:

Be (Sucessful Taskbar Move) Safe :huh:

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal :(

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:23 AM

Animal is it? That worked just dandy! Thank you mucho. It's locked now. Do you know of a way to get 8.1 or soon to be win 10 to look like XP? I'm sick of this phantom touchy feely bleep.

I'm edging in on the big 70 and remember when the goal of computers was user friendly. I remember programming IBM 407s and  CDC 160s and 1604s in the USN.

All I want to do now is hunt and peck as much and often as possible.

Thanks again! :bananas:                            I got :bounce:  bleeped!

I guess I should open a new thread for this.

Do you know of a way to get 8.1 or soon to be win 10 to look like XP? I'm sick of this phantom touchy feely bleep.

Edited by Rapier, 03 November 2015 - 05:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users