Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Below standard framerate issues with R9 380 graphics card

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JulianG

JulianG

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Bought an Acer XG270HU 27in 144Hz FreeSync along with a new R9 380 graphics card today and I'm only getting 50-60 fps in the only game I play Dota 2, sometimes even hitting 50-40fps during big teamfights. (when the camera is still and there isn't much action going on I am able to just get flashes of 80-90fps)

My specs are AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor 3.20GHz. 8gb ram and running 64bit Win10. 650w Corsair PSU.

Now I know it's not the most modern CPU but I feel I should at least be getting 100-120 fps with this new graphics card. I downloaded afterburner and here are some logs, http://www.filedropper.com/hardwaremonitoring3rdone

The CPU is averaging at about 50% so I don't think it's being bottlenecked.

I've tried turning Vsync off, turning AA off and even changing my resolution to 1920x1080 and no change in fps at all.

I've reinstalled AMD Catalyst, tried both versions. (the latest as well as the beta)

I've looked in Catalyst to see if vsync or any kind of framerate cap is on and nope.

Although this new Monitor is great I feel a bit disappointed as I bought a new graphics card to go with it and the fps is, to quote someone "frame rates you're having are not representative of the performance of the card, heck a modern system runs at 70fps average on 4K with that card, the older and slower 7950 runs a 2560x1600 at 100fps"

Some people have suggested overclocking my CPU and graphics card but I'm not really sure how to do that or if I even should consider it. (I've been told it can damage your hardware)

I would GREATLY appreciate any help/suggestions/anything at all! I'm downloading some benchmark tests while I sleep and will run those tomorrow.

Edited by JulianG, 12 September 2015 - 01:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Just finished a primary test for 3D mark and here are my results.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8534912

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

That's weird. Really weird. Firestrike says all the drivers are up to date and that it's performing on par with other system running the same hardware. The specs are way above what Dota 2 requires. 

Maybe it's Dota? have you tried reinstalling Dota 2?

Do you have any other games to try out? There are some free game benchmarks. Like this once for Resident Evil 6- http://store.steampowered.com/app/229950

If you don't have any other graphically intensive games to run, giving that benchmark a run would be the closest thing to it. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

Are you using a Display Port connection?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

That's weird. Really weird. Firestrike says all the drivers are up to date and that it's performing on par with other system running the same hardware. The specs are way above what Dota 2 requires. 

Maybe it's Dota? have you tried reinstalling Dota 2?

Do you have any other games to try out? There are some free game benchmarks. Like this once for Resident Evil 6- http://store.steampowered.com/app/229950

If you don't have any other graphically intensive games to run, giving that benchmark a run would be the closest thing to it. 

Yes it is very odd and extremely frustrating :(
It's 1:30am here in Australia but I'll download and run that first thing after I wake up.

#6 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

I'm using the hdmi looking cable with the bend on one side and a capital P on it that the monitor came with if that's what you mean? I also tried the normal hdmi is came with, both of them make no difference.

It's a straight connection though, it's going straight from the monitor into the graphics card.

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:53 AM

I'm using the hdmi looking cable with the bend on one side and a capital P on it that the monitor came with if that's what you mean? I also tried the normal hdmi is came with, both of them make no difference.

It's a straight connection though, it's going straight from the monitor into the graphics card.

That wouldn't explain frame rate, but you do NEED to use the displayport connection if you want to use the freesync aspect of your monitor. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

DisplayPort has much higher bandwidth than HDMI.  I believe HDMI is limited to 60hz at QHD resolution, and also DP is needed for the "Freesync" function (where refresh rate is sync'd to FPS) to work.  It's not going to affect the internal frame rate of the game (as SEANIA says), but it will have an affect on refresh rates that can be displayed.

Displayport-cable.jpg

I haven't looked through the 3DMark site extensively, but for example I looked at the "Firestrike" benchmark on a few different specs, and for example the highest result with a single R9-380 GPU with an AMD FX-6100 CPU (out of 171 results) was 7126.  With an Intel i5-4690K (out of 325 results) the highest was 7520.  With an X6 1090T it's 7407.  Your result of 6931 is pretty much normal, by the look of it.  The results showing 10000+ are all Crossfire setups.

I don't know what problems could be affecting that game specifically sorry.  There is a frame limiting function in the Performance section of Catalyst CC, although AFAIK it's turned off by default.

Edited by jonuk76, 11 September 2015 - 11:16 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

That wouldn't explain frame rate, but you do NEED to use the displayport connection if you want to use the freesync aspect of your monitor. 

That's the cable I'm using, it came with the monitor.

#10 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

DisplayPort has much higher bandwidth than HDMI.  I believe HDMI is limited to 60hz at QHD resolution, and also DP is needed for the "Freesync" function (where refresh rate is sync'd to FPS) to work.  It's not going to affect the internal frame rate of the game (as SEANIA says), but it will have an affect on refresh rates that can be displayed.

Displayport-cable.jpg

I haven't looked through the 3DMark site extensively, but for example I looked at the "Firestrike" benchmark on a few different specs, and for example the highest result with a single R9-380 GPU with an AMD FX-6100 CPU (out of 171 results) was 7126.  With an Intel i5-4690K (out of 325 results) the highest was 7520.  With an X6 1090T it's 7407.  Your result of 6931 is pretty much normal, by the look of it.  The results showing 10000+ are all Crossfire setups.

I don't know what problems could be affecting that game specifically sorry.  There is a frame limiting function in the Performance section of Catalyst CC, although AFAIK it's turned off by default.

Could you elaborate on the frame limiting from CC???

Yes that's the same cord I'm using, just to be sure I'll take a picture of it now and upload it to imgur. http://imgur.com/omQPAob

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

Yes that's the same cord I'm using, just to be sure I'll take a picture of it now and upload it to imgur. http://imgur.com/omQPAob

Yep, that is a DisplayPort cable, which is what you want :)

I should have said Frame Rate Limiting.  In Catalyst I mean this function in the performance tab:

jGLHYr1.png

Edited by jonuk76, 11 September 2015 - 09:34 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

Yep, that is a DisplayPort cable, which is what you want :)

I should have said Frame Rate Limiting.  In Catalyst I mean this function in the performance tab:

Yes I've already gone through all that.

#13 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:40 AM

I'm going to try updating and running CS:GO full graphics and see how it goes.

#14 JulianG

JulianG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:17 AM

***UPDATE*** So I just ran CS:GO everything maxed and during high action deathmatches/gunfights I was ranging from 110-140+ fps and while the camera was still the fps would actually go above and beyond 144fps?! Now I know CS:GO isn't the most graphic intensive game but you could say the same for Dota 2. Now I'm really confused.

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

I don't know anything about Dota 2 so all I can think of is either there is something in the game settings itself causing it, or possibly that a stored game specific profile in the video card driver (under Gaming - 3D Application Settings) is having an effect.

If you are using "Raptr" aka AMD Gaming Evolved I believe it automatically adds "optimized" 3D settings for supported games.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users