Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Some websites inaccessable / may have infection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Norm@Home

Norm@Home

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

I'm trying to help out a friend with this issue; the computer in question is not very old; it was new in November 2014.

The issue seems to be that some websites become inaccessible in both Internet Explorer and FireFox; what happens is either the page tries to load and simply never does without displaying an error or sometimes you get "this page cannot be displayed".

I set this computer up for them and it has Eset Endpoint 5.0.2237.0, Malwarebytes and Spybot 2.4 installed. Despite the problem with web pages, the anti-virus is receiving regular updates and you see the notification balloon at least a couple times a day that the definition database was updated.

Initially when I started looking into this, I did a full system in-depth scan with Eset and it turned up a few minor things but nothing serious; I tried to update Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot and Spybot encountered errors during the update but by clicking update several times it was finally able to complete all updates. On the other hand Malwarebytes was never able to update.

I tried resetting TCP/IP using "netsh int ip reset" in a command prompt running as administrator and after a reboot things seemed to be working fine again; I was able to update Malwarebytes and scan with it but it only turned up some tracking cookies.

I tried downloading and running TDS Killer 3.1.0.5 and it didn't find any problems.

Things continued to work fine for a day or two and then the same problem started again.

Just fyi, my friend has their home wired (this problem computer is attached by wire) and they have a wireless router and every other computer (there are at least 5 not counting this one) on the network works fine and it's only this computer that appears to have a problem.

Does anyone have an idea how to permanently fix this problem?

- Norm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,906 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hi Norm run these please

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • Flush DNS
    • Report IE Proxy Settings
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • Report FF Proxy Settings
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings
    • List content of Hosts
    • List IP configuration
    • List Winsock Entries
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
zcMPezJ.pngAdwCleaner
  • Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users