Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen of death with mouse pointer after user folder permissions change

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 seanstevens

seanstevens

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Hi,

Long story short, I have a win 7 on one drive and installed win 10 on another drive, physically different drive. Whilst in win 10 I tried to access my user profile on the win 7 drive - prompt came saying 'you dont have access to this folder, click ok to get access permanently - accidentally I clicked OK. Initially didnt see a problem whilst in win 10 but on next reboot I wanted to boot in to win 7, I got the black screen of death with mouse.
Reading the net I followed a thread and changed permission on the drive using CACLS & ICACLS, this improved it so that instead of black screen I got the Win 7' default blue screen where the login should take place but no log in and the screen flashes to black every now and then.

Tried to restore registry from win/sys32/config - no cahnge.

Next boot into win 10, the drive with win7 is there but no size is shown next to the drive and it is inaccessible.

Have tried repair - cannot repair, system restore - cannot find any restore point where there are many, Safe mode the same, low res the same nothing works.

I place the win 7 drive in to my linux PC and all the files are there no issues.

I then decided to take a image of the partition before doing anything else to it, used Acronis to get the image and Acronis does not seem to have any issues reading the drive. reading the image, all the files are there.

What I noticed, was two exe files in the root of my win 7 drive, these are: SetACL.exe and subinacl.exe. These files may be legit but I dont see these files on my other win 7 PC or on the win 10, so I am wondering why there are there in the first place and if they are causing the problem.

I have not really lost any data so i am not interested in recovering data but to recover my win 7 drive, so anyone with any ideas? Second attachment is my win/sys32/config - where I tried restoring registry, not sure if all OK there.

Latest update: removed both SetACL.exe & subinacl.exe, no change.

Safe Mode, repair, last good, low res etc. all dont work. I know the drive is fine number of CHKDSK finds nothing wrong. either a corrupted file or a malware which I doubt the as I have AVG & Malwarebyte monitoring in real time and they found nothing. Currently drive is not accessible in Windows Explorer but it is in Command Prompt. See attached.

Thanks,

Sean

Attached Files

Edited by seanstevens, 11 September 2015 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hi seanstevens,and Welcome,

How did you install win 10 on its drive and was win 7 always on the other(i.e.were you trying for a dual boot)?

Hedge

#3 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:50 AM

Hi Hedge and thank you.

Clean install on a brand new SDD. No dual boot, win 7 was on another physically different SSD so no interference as far as boot partition.

Yesterday I managed to get the drive accessible in Win 10, so I can access it 7 files are there. I managed that by running a new set of CACLS commands (in elevated command prompt in win 10) for the entire drive, users and system32 folders. I just figured it must be permissions issue and I couldnt set them via right clicking on the drive/properties.

However, I still cannot boot in to my win 7 and I think there is one more permission to add but I dont know how to do that - see attached, I was just about to update this post anyway.

From attached photo you can see my E: data drive which used to host the My Doc, Music, Photos for my win 7. When for the first time accessed these folders in Win 10, I got the same prompt ' you havent got access, click OK to get permanent access' I OKed it and I have access to them (The whole problem started when I did the same on my Win 7' User' folder). Now in attached, the accessed E:\My Music security properties (on the right) now shows an unknown account which must be my Win 7 account (win 10 & 7 both have the same computer name and users). My Q: drive which is the old win 7 drive' security properties show only permissions for win 10 users and the actual Allow column is greyed out?

I am thinking if I manage to add the unknown security account ti Q drive then win 7 may boot? I am not sure and certainly dont know how to do that not knowing where that account is kept on win 7 files and guessing it is deep within a system file anyway so it may not be possible, maybe there is a way to export?

Anyway, a step closer but not booting to 7 still.

Sean

Attached Files

#4 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hi Sean,

The reason I asked is, I attempted a clean install of win 10 on my data drive ((1TB partitioned,had a linux os) wiped and ready) from DVD.

All was going well until a restart was needed,of course it booted to my win drive(separate Drive)that's when my problems started,

Win 10s partial install left win7 unbootable(should have disconnected my win 7 drive.Hindsight beautiful after the fact).

My solution was to wipe the partition with10 on disconnect it, and repair win 7 with the install disk,

my system was not very happy with this because win 10 leaves remnants every where(including my win 7 because it was connected for the 10 install)

I hope that makes some sort sense

Bottom line Win 10 seems to alter any and all windows os's if connected

Hedge 

#5 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

Hi Hedge,

Yes it does make sense. I disconnected all my other drives and installed 10 and then connected them back up. rebooted a few times no problem but once clicked on my Win 7's User folder and give access to win 10 - that did mine!

Did you have the same black scree with mouse or something else?

Sean

#6 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

@ sean,

On a further note have tried the Edit key to add permissions

Hedge 

#7 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Sean, 

Sorry typing when you posted

Very long story short, but I now have cloned my os drive into my data drive partition so I now have 2 identical win 7s 1 on each of 2 separate drives,and my cloned version will not boot

but yes black screen with mouse

original is now fine

One of the other things I had to do was upgrade to 10 (hence the clone,in case I did not like 10) found 10 Bad/not practical so did a down grade.

Witch worked extremely well 2 hours to install, 15 mins to revert

Hedge

Edit for readability  

Edited by hedgeley, 13 September 2015 - 07:52 AM.

#8 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Sean,

Might be worth a look,

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

Good luck 

Hedge

#9 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

Hedge,

My win 10 is running fine, never had any issues with it. Thanks for the win 10 link, it is useful but not for the current win 7 issue.

Odd that your cloned win 7 doesnt boot. I take it you can access your win 7 drives/content from win 10? What is the security tab look like, are the correct permissions set?

I just wanted to have the dual option of being able to boot to either 7 or 10 for now until teething issues and software compatibilities and initial bugs are sorted out. Also because I have a lot of installations on my 7 that I dont want to go through right now.

If I find anything that may help I will come back to you.

Sean

#10 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

Sean,

I don't have 10 any more I had to down grade,

From my understanding a dual boot needs 10 first and 7 added later(can't find the article) for it to work (almost like 10 has to boss)

So my feeling is to attempt a repair or dual boot through win 10 (because it thinks its the boss)

I do sincerely wish you luck (I had to upgrade then down grade to get my 7 back)

I will be watching and if I think of anything I will post back

The very best of

Hedge 

Edit;  The OS has to be bootable to upgrade

Edited by hedgeley, 13 September 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#11 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hedge,

The challenges of upgrading to new version of OS...they all think they are the boss!

Thank you, best of luck to too.

Sean

#12 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:02 AM

Sean,

Just found this (thanks to Aura) might help with your permissions

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

Let us know

Hedge

#13 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:03 PM

Hedge,

Thanks for that, I had come across that. I need to be able to run this on the Win 7 disk while it is in Windows, problem is I cant get in there to run a lot of software that run in Windows.

The main problem of not being able to run my Win 7 in any mode, results in not being run utilities that could fix it.

Thanks a lot anyway.

Sean

#14 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:59 AM

sean,

I thought you could run it 10 

Just a thought

Hedge

#15 seanstevens

seanstevens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 11:45 AM

Hedge,

Sorry for the late response.

Mmm... dont know what that is going to do to the win 7 side of it... it may help it ma not,.. Will try it over the next couple of days maybe.

The reason I am not too sure is because I dont want win 10 to take it and not let me access the drive contents again..

Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users