Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to upgrade my wireless on an old Sony Vaio2 laptop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:05 AM

I have a built-in wireless on my Sony VGN-220E laptop running Vista sp1 (Sony Vaio 2) but my laptop is in an odd place right now and I would like to have an external antenna.

My two USB ports are used by an external mouse and an external keyboard.

Is their another port, I can buy a wireless device for?

Failing that, I guess I will just have to unhook the keyboard when I'm surfing the net and use the laptop's own keyboard, or unhook the mouse and use the laptop's mouse.

Just curious if I can get a better connection in the odd place my laptop sits - the connection breaks all the time, and I'm sure it's just that the wireless signal does not get into it well enough.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

People have had success using a USB hub similar to this one which I link to only as an example. You may have a better experience using a powered USB hub to avoid any voltage drops. This would allow you to free up one USB port for a wireless dongle with antenna.

Right click your wireless device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy and post the first line. All you may need is a driver update.

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, i ordered a couple.  Here's my wireless id:

PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_04231468&REV_01

I have a LAN Express AS IEEE 802.11g PCI-E Adapter

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:31 AM

What is strange is the Sony shows an intel wireless chipset on the driver page but your vendor ID is Atheros. Is Vista 32bit or 64bit?

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

It's 32-bit Vista.  My wireless is listed under Network adapters - I only know it's wireless from the 802.11g.  I guess it's an Intel Pentium

motherboard and the wireless is sort of built-in?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

You most likely have a mini PCI card with an atheros chipset. Go here. Press the Green Click for Download button. You will need to wait a bit before the download begins. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop of an admin account. There are two folders Vista32 and Vista64. Delete the 64bit folder. Move the five files to their own folder on the desktop. 

Open Device Manager. Select Properties of the Wireless Controller. Select Update Driver. Click Browse my computer for driver software. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer. Click Have Disk. Browse to the folder with the 32bit Atheros drivers. Click on the inf file and then okay. It will show your Atheros device. Click Next. Reboot. If you get a warning box then select no and do not install the driver.

Edit: Corrected link. You want the first listed.  It would be a good idea to create a restore point first.

Release: 2010-04-30   [April '10]

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#7 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:17 PM

I just did what you said but I did NOT need to reboot, the system shut down the adapter in the latter phase of the driver install, and then restarted the wireless so I'm now running with Atheros Apri 27, 2010 - 7.7.0.498.  So far it seems fine.  Thanks.  Yeah, that adapter is a LAN-Express PCI-E Adapter, and it's listed right on the page at the link you gave: https://www.atheros.cz/getfile.php

Later today I will put the laptop up on some books - that might help a little to boost the reception/transmission, but for now, I'll see if the driver has it's own improvement to my Internet connection.

Edited by PetarSickey, 11 September 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

Changing the channel on your router may help if there is some kind of interference.

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:27 PM

I don't have a router but I noticed in the past that when the adapter starts doing the funky chicken, a yellow exclamation appears and I cannot browse the Internet, as in, no packets of info, no downloads, no browsing.  That yellow exclamation has yet to appear, and I'm watching Round 3 at Trestles no problem.  Just reach around and give yourself that little ole pat on the back - NOW!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

Glad the updated driver worked for you and thanks for the update. Fingers crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users