Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Security Updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jachin

jachin

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:59 AM

Hi, hopefully someone can help and advise how I overcome this problem.  I successfully registered for windows 10 upgrade which has been downloaded to my PC but I'm not in the position to install the new Windows. However I still want to install the recent windows 7 updates which came in on the 8th September. How can I do this with out installing Windows 10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hello.  I am still on Windows 7 as well.  What I have been doing, with both the August and September "Black Tuesday" Windows updates, was/is go to the Optional Updates section and uncheck Windows 10 update, then I go to the Important updates and check all of the Windows 7 updates and install them.  I have not had any issues.  It has worked both times.

I am hanging off on doing the Windows 10 update for now, waiting for it to become a bit more stable, even though I have "reserved" my copy.

Hope this helps, and have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 jachin

jachin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

Phil, thanks for this help, downloaded my Windows 7 updates successfully, I'm also waiting until they iron a lot more problems with Windows 10 before I press the button.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

There is nothing about the Win 10 upgrade...which installs it automatically.

I install all critical Win 7 updates routinely...without any imagined or real update to Win 10 and I have stored the Win 10 .iso file for the time when I decide to do a clean install of Win 10.  I don't believe in "upgrade installs" since previous track records of such seem to create unnecessary problems with the change.

Louis

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

Louis:

I too plan to do a "clean install", but from what I have read, I need to do the Win10 "upgrade" first so that my Windows 10 gets activated, and then do a clean install .  In due course, I will download the Media Creation Tool.  Folks have posted some good information on how to do it.  I plan to follow these instructions here.

In my young and foolish days (before I joined BC), I used to run optimizers and reg cleaners on my two Win7 computers, so I plan to use the Win10 clean install as a way to resolve any corruption (and I still get occasional BSODs on my main tower).  Like you, I have heard that there are far fewer compatibility issues with your older apps if they are installed directly into Windows 10.  The Win10 clean install migration is going to knock me offline for about a week, I expect.  I have a lots of apps on this main computer to migrate.

In any event, I am in no rush to migrate just yet.  I'd like to see Win10 not generating as many problem reports as it is currently.

This weekend I was planning to upgrade my 2015 Bitdefender Total Security to the new 2016 version issued yesterday.  I was on their Forums this morning.  All kinds of people reporting that after the upgrade, they could not shut off their computer, without holding the power button in!  That's kind of a serious bug!!  So, I think that I will give BD a month or so to sort out their issues before I upgrade BD ...

One wonders, all of these software packages (Windows, BD) are supposed to have been beta-tested ... ?

Have a great weekend.  Stay safe.

Regards,

-Phil

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Win 10 upgrade issues...belong in the Win 10 forum.  There are plehty of folks there...some posting experiences, some just posting rhetoric...that cover the Windows 10 upgrade problems, non-problems, etc.

This...is still the Windows 7 forum...and anything that relates to problems after upgrading to Win 10...should be pursued in the Win 10 forum for Discussions that now exists.

Louis

#7 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:22 PM

Louis:

Please accept my apologies.  I haven't upgraded and I really didn't think I was trying to start a Windows 10 debate here; merely, explaining why I am still on Windows 7.

You are the moderator.  I respect you very much.  I will refrain from any comments here in the Windows 7 Forum that might be construed as constituting a discussion of the merits of Windows 10.

I did read the posts of two of the moderators over on the Windows 10 Forum in the last couple of days, when they split it in two.  I apologize for apparently falling afoul of new policies here.

I was only trying to help the OP with continuing to download Win7 updates.

Have a great weekend, Louis

Regards,

-Phil

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

No apology necessary, Phil :)...nothing personal in my comments...I just find that for the last few weeks, some members feel that the Win 7 forum has become some type of "let's bash Microsoft/Windows/whatever" forum and posts have been made that, were it up to me...would have just been deleted because they were off-topic and not even pointed in the direction of inquiries by the OP.

I think that the question raised by this OP...has been answered and I don't feel the need to wander down other paths in this topic.

The OP should pose any questions about Win 10...in the Win 10 forum, IMO...and that's the course that I intend to steer here in the Win 7 forum :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users