Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading and checking for support [GPU wise]

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nubbuka

nubbuka

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

Hello!

I am new to the forums, I would like to ask for help regarding upgeading my GPU.

My computer is for gaming (arma 3 online a lot) and graphic designing (photoshop and more media programs).

I am currently able to run most games on 1440p but I do need to reduce settings and sometimes even run in windowed mode to 1080p like in GTA V for it to run smoothly and still remain watchable...

There are 2 major questions that I would like to ask and thank you in advance for the help!

My specs:

Motherboard: Msi-7798

CPU: I7-3770 non K @ 3.40Ghz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 660Ti

Ram: 8G

Soundcard: Asus Xonar DGX

PSU: hec win 600W

Main monitor: 1440p (1 monitor for gaming only, no widescreening)

Secondary monitor: 1080p

Please ask for any more inforamtion if missing

Questions:

1. I am thinking of upgrading my GPU into a 970 Nvidia card, I would like to keep it Nvidia for shadowplay to work and PhyX.

1(A). Will this Graphic card be ok PSU wise, bottleneck wise (CPU) and my 2 monitors? Also is it worth upgrading to it from a 660ti? will there be a large increase in performance.

2. Are there any other recommended Nvidia cards that are out there for less money that can still kinda match the 970? I will be happy for 5-15% less efficiency if it costs a lot more.

Again thank you for your help and have a nice day! :3

Edited by nubbuka, 11 September 2015 - 02:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

Well in the 1440p range on the Nvidia side you have  GTX 970, GTX 980 and GTX 980ti.

But if you are willing to go AMD you have the R9 390, R9 390x and R9 fury.

GTX 970<R9 390<R9 390x<GTX 980<R9 Fury<GTX 980ti            (Performance)

R9 390<GTX 970<R9 390x<GTX 980<R9 Fury<GTX 980ti            (Price MSRP)

NOTE: If you go AMD i would upgrade the PSU to a EVGA Supernova 550w G2.

Edited by IWant2Help, 11 September 2015 - 05:04 AM.

#3 nubbuka

nubbuka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately the upgrade from a 970 to a 980 is about 200$ for me that I cannot spend so I'll go for the 970.

Any recommended manufacturer such as Gygabite, msi, asus or EVGA? Their respected "Product names" are G1, Gaming, STRIX and FTW (these are their priciest models of the same card, its only 20$ more on each approximately)

Again thank you and If anyone can just clarify if my CPU will handle the card bottleneck wise that will be awesome as well.

#4 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:10 AM

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately the upgrade from a 970 to a 980 is about 200$ for me that I cannot spend so I'll go for the 970.

Any recommended manufacturer such as Gygabite, msi, asus or EVGA? Their respected "Product names" are G1, Gaming, STRIX and FTW (these are their priciest models of the same card, its only 20$ more on each approximately)

Again thank you and If anyone can just clarify if my CPU will handle the card bottleneck wise that will be awesome as well.

Your CPU is fine, some people still use i7 920 (its really old) in their rig and are just considering upgrading.

G1 and STRIX has the least amount of coil whine reports in sweden.

EVGA FTW has the highest clock speeds so it will perform the best and EVGA has very good customer support.

MSI has the quietest cooler and close after that comes the STRIX.

The G1 has the best thermals.

#5 nubbuka

nubbuka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

Wow thanks a lot for that information! I highly appreciate it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users