Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somebody remind me to not try to self admin my modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

I fineally found my modems web page but it seems they do not want us to be able to get into it and change anything. I tried to acces the router function in it and I lost my connection.

Had to reboot twice and enter my modems setup number each time before I could reconnect.

I have chosen not to share my connection and it does not seem to like that LOL

I have 15 other computers in my network neighbor hood let them pay for their own internet time/connection.

I can barely get on by myself.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Network Neighborhood is your lan.  If you see computers on there your lan is not private which means you need to address a number of security issues.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

Even with all networking services turned off as long as my modem and nic is working I should still see the others that might be available as long as they allow their rputer/modem to be discoverable. I can see those that are discoverable but they should not be able to see me IIRC.

Never really dealt much with wireless networks.  I have a few years on wired networks.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Do you mean wireless networks that you see in the available networks?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

Available wifi networks are just that available to connect to if you have the right credentials.  They are not on your network.

There is nothing to be concerned about with them seeing your wifi network as long as you have used a complex password for your wifi network access and you have changed the routers default password to something only you know.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

That is one of the problems I am unable to remotely administer this att modem router combo. I would like to change the password. Altho it is a long number I much prefer a complex alpha numeric symbol password.

I know of one automated password cracker software that can break a 15 number password in a week as long as it is only numbers.

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

'remotely administer' would indicate you are talking about the logon to the routers administration page password.

A hacker would have to first have physical access to the router to be able to hack it.

This is why your level of wifi encryption [wpa2] and using a complex wifi passphrase is so important.

BTW no one would be interested in hacking your routers admin password.  They don't care about it.  They want to crack your wifi encryption password so they can gain access to your lan devices.  That's where the treasure is located.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

But to get to my PC they first have to get thru the modem/router and it is password protected?? Or am I thinking wrong?

The combo modem is plugged into an existing phone jack to the ISP this is not a hot spot type connection. Or does it even make a difference?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users