Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beginner Hd Slave Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

I just required an old, busted computer from my idiot brother, and almost everything in the box is old, outdated, and useless. However, the harddrive seems to be intact. I can't tell (can't boot up the comp with ANY form of media), but it looks like it hasn't been damaged.

So, here's the question. What do i need to "slave" it to my current computer? I have all the factory cables from both computers, but no experience in this sort of thing. The drive i'm trying to add to my current box is a Seagate 20gb. I've looked around the internet for tutorials, but, sad to say, a lot of them are over my head. I dunno if the drive is SATA, ATA, RAID, whatever.

I would love to be able to put the old drive into my newer computer to gain some extra storage. Does anyone know a good, BEGINNER tutorial or site that would be able to guide me through it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

If it is "Real old" than it is going to be a EIDE drive. Set it as SLAVE and plug it into the second plug on your primary IDE bus. The red dot or strip in the edge of the flat grey cable shuld be cloest to the power plug. It is really that simple.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:34 PM

Ok, new issue.... i can't figure out how to get the @#^%# thing out of the old case:

Posted Image
Posted Image
That's the setup. I can't see any way it's attached to the case. I see a screw on the bottom (closest to the mobo), but i think that's a screw that's holding the actual HD housing together.

So is it just brute force to get that thing out of there? I've tried prying it out, but i'm afraid of damaging the hardware.

Again, i'd just like to establish that i'm a complete noob in the hardware department, lol.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 07:21 PM

Sometimes (more times than not) the hard drive is mounted inside of a cage that is held in place by just one screw.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:33 AM

Sometimes (more times than not) the hard drive is mounted inside of a cage that is held in place by just one screw.

Or it's attached to the front of the cage with 4 screws accessed by taking off the front panel of the computer.

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 01:08 AM

Most hard drives are screwed together from the side opposite the label, and always by more than just one. I'd say it's safe to unscrew that one screw. You may be able to slide out the mounting cage and drive after removing it.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:04 PM

Thanx guys. I finally had to rip off the front cover of the computer. There i found 2 screws that were holding it in place. I undid those screws and voila, the harddrive just kinda popped off.

Now i'm gonna try acklan's method for creating a slave. I think i've found the proper plug in my good box. Is there any software i'm going to need for it, or is my XP SP2 going to recognize the drive right after i plug it in?

EDIT: Another quick n00b question.... How do i switch the hdd to "slave"? I don't see any switch on the hdd itself. Is there a specific place i should look, or a cover i need to pry open?

EDIT2: Nevermind.... a simple google search answered my question.
Here's the site i found in case anyone else stumbles across this with a similar concern: http://www.mysuperpc.com/hdu/jumper_pins.shtml

Thanx again for the help guys

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 17 July 2006 - 12:15 PM.

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:18 PM

XPsp2 should recognize it automatically on boot up.

After installing the drive you should run chkdsk (Right click on the drive in My Computer, select properties, click tools, click Check Now, check all boxes, click ok, click ok again, restart)

You may also need to create one or more volumes (depending on your needs/preferences) by partitioning the drive. This can be done through Windows's Disk Management Console (Right click on "My Computer", select "Manage", click "Disk Management").

#9 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2006 - 06:54 PM

Thanx guys. I finally had to rip off the front cover of the computer. There i found 2 screws that were holding it in place. I undid those screws and voila, the harddrive just kinda popped off.

That sounds oh so familiar. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users