Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 and bluetooth keyboards

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

This seems to be an ongoing issue, but I have yet to see a resolution for it.  I have 2 tablets, and 2 keyboards.

Tablet 2 had keyboard 2 installed on it when it was windows 8.1, then was upgraded to windows 10.  During the install keyboard/remove keyboard/install keyboard I was able to het keyboard 2 working many times, and keyboard 1 working once,.

Tablet 1 did not ever have a bluetooth keyboard installed on it.  I can not get any keyboard to work with it.

I am trying to key keyboard 1 to work with tablet 1.  Here is what happens.

I put the keyboard into pairing mode, and the computer finds it.  I tell it to pair, and it tells me to enter a passcode.  At this time the pairing light on the keyboard turns off.  I enter the passcode and press enter, the computer installs the keyboard, and the pairing light on the keyboard comes back on.  The computer says the keyboard is connected, but I can not type with the keyboard.  I turn the keyboard off, and then back on, the computer says the keyboard is paired, but not connected.  I can not get it connected again unless I remove it, and then re-pair ir.  But then again, as soon as I enter the passcode the pairing light come son again and the keyboard is unusable...

I have used snappy driver installer to install newer drivers.  I have removed the bluetooth from the device manager and rebooted.  Tried so many things, and I can't get them to work on tablet 1 ever.

Has this well known issue been resolved yet?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 klear6

klear6

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

OK I had a problem like this.  All my bluetooth devices (headphones, keyboard, 3 phones) would pair with windows 10 but only connect for a second if they connected at all.  I spent 10 freaking hours trying to fix it and I was determined.  I scoured the web and tried everything including uninstalling drivers, using compatibility mode, and about 50 other things I can't even remember (by the time I was done it was like 4 AM).  Nothing worked.  I finally found a post about a guy who couldn't get his windows 10 device to connect with his car.  It was off topic but I was desperate.  Sorry I don't have the link.  Here's the deal.  Uninstall all the bluetooth enumerators and devices (I didn't uninstall the radio and it didn't seem to make a difference).  Turn off your internet connection.  This is the important part that nobody can figure out.  Uninstall you HIDs in device manager.  Restart computer.  Turn on internet.  Re-pair devices.  Worked for me - I really hope it helps so you aren't stuck like I was.  It is really frustating that they released an unfinished operating system that the OEMs didn't even have a chance to make proper drivers for.  Then they blame it on your computer saying it is just no compatible.  I took their compatibility test.  I passed and installed windows 10 and am still having tons of issues.  Then they actually tried to say the compatibility test they released was faulty.  They really need to get it together.  Grrr.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:58 PM

Not that I don't agree with your frustration, particularly that the compatibility test seems to be full of holes like Swiss cheese, but blaming Microsoft by saying the "OEMs didn't even have a chance to make proper drivers for" is unjustified.

Windows 10 was not "sprung on" the world and the information necessary to make driver updates was out there long before Windows 10 was.  The fact of the matter is that OEMs are not putting much effort at all into rewriting anything pre-Windows-8 to ensure it's going to work with Win10.   A lot of stuff happens to work and a lot does not.  I upgraded a Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop during the Insider Program, and I still have not found a touch pad driver that works and there are issues with a standard USB mouse, too.  Dell's own website notes that this machine has not been "been tested for Windows 10 upgrade" and a lot of people are upgrading computers without also checking this in addition to the compatibility checker.

Given the pace of change with computer hardware today, it's doubtful that a great deal of Windows 7 hardware will ever have driver updates written.  You may luck out and have it work, but you may not.

I will admit, though, that I still find it shocking that Microsoft's own generic touch pad driver can't even make the basic functions of the device work as expected.  I'd never have thought that a driver for something as pedestrian as a pointing device would have changed much at all over the years, at least at the most basic feature set level.

The compatibility checker definitely needs to be improved to check all component hardware against a database of available drivers known to work on Win10 and identify same to the user so they know what they may have to update after an upgrade.  If nothing is found then a big warning that no device driver compatible with Windows 10 is known to exist for "device X" should be issued so that anyone who chooses to upgrade knows that they are doing so at their own risk and likely are going to be inviting problems.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users