Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED thatWindows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.

An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.

He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' was optional. If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:11 PM

If so, why is it being pushed out to so many computers where it wasn't reserved, and why does it try to install over and over again?

Because MS knows exactly what the end user wants and needs.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Some choice comments here

From David 132:

"Personal" computer no more

I've been struggling to articulate just what it is about Windows 10 that bothers me, without seeming like a total luddite. But I think it's this: their default assumption seems to be that it's not my computer, it's their computer, that I'm allowed to use according to their whim.

Boy, did he hit the nail on the head.

#4 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, so when they download it to your machine, they count it as 'running',  (in that link, see the upper left of video screen, don't need to watch the video).. so that 75 million number can 'grow'.  Just like what Google did November 2013,  forcing us to Google Plus in Youtube, else we weren't allowed to comment, read our mail, click the Like button.

I've had it.    :ranting:     Spent two days warning clients, only now have to be more strident. For I bet most of them are still using automatic updates on their Win7 machines!

Edited by brainout, 10 September 2015 - 09:46 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

I don't know how truthful this is but I haven't noticed anything different about my computer and im still on windows 8.1 and I did not do anything about windows 10.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

It even downloads the Windows 10 installer if you are on metered connection in Windows 8.1 (did for me :()

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

EDIT, 9/11/15 (how apt): yet another article on the same topic, this time in PC World.

Yeah, the installer is 3 GB per OS type.  I downloaded the installer on the 29th, selecting one Win10 32-bit, and another 64-bit, both Pro, and total is 6 GB.  So that balances, CKing123.

Here's another just-in article but now in ZDnet, click here.  ZDnet's comment and login thingy has gone bonkers, I can't log in from either Firefox 39 or latest Chrome, in Win7.  But since I'm permanently logged in via XP (God knows why), I can comment there.

And the final deadline for tax season is now 35 days hence.  I can't take this anymore.  It won't kill me, but it is annoying to be doing all of this in 30 days.

Edited by brainout, 11 September 2015 - 10:55 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:05 PM

On my Windows 7 install I definitely haven't opted in to the upgrade.  I'm not seeing either a hidden $Windows.~BT folder, or failed upgrades to Windows 10 in the update log.  I do have automatic updates on.  If this is happening, then it doesn't appear to be happening to everyone.

What I AM seeing, and it's starting to annoy, is the "We recommend you reserve your copy of Windows 10" nagging pop up box every login.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:03 AM

What I AM seeing, and it's starting to annoy, is the "We recommend you reserve your copy of Windows 10" nagging pop up box every login.

If you don't want to uninstall the updates that include GWX functionality, then you can go to the Notification area Icons control panel applet and choose "Hide Icon and Notifications". That will not stop GWX running, nor stop this severe abuse of trust that MS have just actioned, but it will stop GWX nagging you.

x64

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

From my own post on 6th September'15.......HERE...

Posted 06 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

May I sum it up for you folks ?

The issue is about TRUST.

Given the absence of this crap in prior versions of Windows......They (msft) achieved Trust.

they have "suckered" the public in with a "free" offering.....and as rp88 put it....they control everything via the OS

The public will pay the price for years to come. Msft will laugh all the way to the bank.

Whether msft will pay a price...remains to be seen.

I will pose a question:....what would the result be if a competitor launched an OS tomorrow....with the same/similar features as Win 10...(no privacy intrusion, no auto updates, and a decent eula privacy thingie etc)....?????....at a cost of $100

and just to add to that.....they are, I believe, struggling to keep up the all important numbers.....so a few bully boy tactics  have been employed to attempt to spread the rotten Win X a little further than is the case at this moment.......which leaves me to ponder the question ...Has their Intrusiveness and pirate like privacy policy started taking a toll on the number of 'installs' ...??

Really.....would you trust this lot (msft) with your private information??.....would you trust them as far as you could kick them ?

For those who have found the ~BT folder on their PC's.....You can use the DISK CLEANUP to get rid of it. 

INSTRUCTIONS HERE

Edited by Condobloke, 11 September 2015 - 07:05 AM.

Condobloke

Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??

LINUX IS THE ANSWER

I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your Microsoft product.

Success is not Final, Failure is not Fatal,

It is the Courage to Continue that Counts.

W.C. 4th June 1940

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

This was also mentioned on how to geek as well as the inquirer:

http://www.howtogeek.com/228551/how-to-stop-windows-7-or-8-from-downloading-windows-10-automatically/?PageSpeed=noscript

I just saw this very concerning article, The thing I want to check: for users with updates set to check automatically but ask the user before download does any of this junk occur? I couldn't entirely tell from the article(either the inquirer or htg). I for one know I don't have KB3035583 installed or KB3044374, without these particular updates is the download of windows 10 impossible? Is this something which is only happening to users who have fully automatic updates and who have allowed things such as KB3035583 to be installed? Could there be anything going on behind the scenes making these unwanted downloads occur on machines which have windows update on "notify only"? Should windows update be turned off entirely except for a weekly check for security updates?

I've checked and I also know that the ~BT folder is not on my C:\ drive, does that prove that this hasn't happened to me?

Also I don't have any registry entry within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\
Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate do I need to make one so I can add in that disable OS upgrade thing and give it the right value, or is this something which is only relevant to this who already have KB303558., I don't think that this "folder" of the registry appears until KB3035583 is installed (at which point it ofcourse appears set up in a default "allow" value for the "upgrade").

One wonders whether that patch from ms mentioned on the how to geek article, the patch that is supposed to stop this, is even really doing that, or whether it simply takes actions to ensure users who install that patch have windows 10 snuck on by even more undehand measures?

I think it's time that antivirus companies started adding GWX.exe, and all these other tricks to try and force "upgrade", as some of their detections.

P.S. Just a suspicion but: I wonder if all those updates to the windows update client recently have been updates adding a function to the update client which makes it able to download the stuff for the BT folder rather than just be able to download, as was previosuly the case, KB updates? The many recent updates for the windows update client were all very vague in description so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they do, change windows update to make this sort of thing possible.

Edited by rp88, 11 September 2015 - 09:05 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:08 AM

I think for the Windows 10 to initiate the download you need to have the telemetry updates installed including KB303558. Those would seem to be installed on anybody that has Automatic updates with "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates" checked.

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:20 AM

If you don't want to uninstall the updates that include GWX functionality, then you can go to the Notification area Icons control panel applet and choose "Hide Icon and Notifications". That will not stop GWX running, nor stop this severe abuse of trust that MS have just actioned, but it will stop GWX nagging you.

x64

Thanks.  I just uninstalled and hid KB3035583 - problem gone.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, rp88 #11, that's what I was alluding to, earlier:  what if they amend the updater program itself to slipstream in the GWX installer?

Also like you, I'm still  having trouble understanding how the install can occur even with automatic updates.  For one has to click on the OK or 'I Accept' of the EULA. That's a legal thingy.  If that step is bypassed, MSFT could be sued for everything it has.  So while perhaps the OS can be downloaded into $Windows..BT as a hidden file, installation doesn't seem possible apart from user input.

However, the amount of user input is only a few clicks...

Going to stick my head in the sand, hoping my clients don't do those clicks while I try to finish pension tax season..

#15 severac

severac

• Members
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:08 PM

Yes, it seems that "Win 10" is hidden in $Windows.~BT folder about 5,94 GB of data.

I would like to help you to remove malware. Let's look inside.   :busy:

But I don't know to solve all PC problems.  :smash: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users