Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Testing..

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:46 PM

Is ther a way to "test" a router? Service provider says they have no problems on their end ( Comcast ). I have had the same router and 3 machines on the router for about 5 years. When I am on the internet, the I.E. stops/freezes and then starts. I'll go to a webpage, and suddenly, it freezes,etc You can wait a bit, and sometimes refresh etc, and it works fine,etc.. This is the same on all my computers and even my wireless connect on a laptop. Is it possible to narrow down the reason for this start/stop,etc.

Edited by jake21, 10 September 2015 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

There really is not a way to test the router to see what's happening with it.

Since you have had it for about 5 years, it could be at the end of its useful life. Since all devices are affected, this may be the case for you and a sign the router needs to be replaced.

What router do you have?(manufacturer/model)

Also, what modem (also manufacturer/model) are you using?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 September 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:32 PM

5 years? it's time to shop for a new ISP. You should do this ever 2 years or so if you have a few in your area. If you don't have a phone through them you can buy a new modem/router as well.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 m0rph

m0rph

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

Hi there it would be worth doing a couple of things before you replace the router, firstly see if there is a later firmware available sometimes updating it can resolve the issue, you do need to be very careful when doing firmware updates because if you do it wrong it could end up bricked.

Also I don't know if you have dsl filters like the UK but changing these, plug in to the telephone test socket (again if you have one, BT does), try a new cable that connects the router to the telephone line, they can get damaged lightning strike could hurt it.

Reset the router to defaults, obviously you need to make sure you know how to set it up from scratch because you will lose all connectivity.

Borrow a router from a friend and let him test yours.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

Comcast is cable internet so it does not involve DSL filters and phone lines.

m0rph did offers some good suggestions, things I did not think of to mention.

As for shopping for a new ISP, there are places where Comcast (or other cable company) is the only choice.

Where I live I would have to switch to satellite (nope, don't want to do that) or dial-up from AT&T.

U-Verse is available in my town. Unfortunately they did not build out to serve the whole town and my neighborhood is one who cannot get U-Verse.

Or it could be someone lives in an apartment complex that does not allow satellite dishes or it has an exclusive bulk account with Comcast.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 September 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:25 AM

If you only have 1 ISP, first world problems, I'd cancel, look into tethering my phone for a month, then go back as a new customer. You get a much better deal as new than renewing customer. But that's what I'd do.

At any rate, 5 years is a long time for ISP provided network equipment. shot, it's a long time for consumer level electronics. LOTS has changed in 5 years.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:53 PM

The router is a CISCO E1200...I have 3 computers on this router and also a wireless laptop. The modem is from COMCAST and only 3 weeks old, new out of the box. I went with the INFINITY package ( phone , internet, Tv). Already had internet and TV, but when I added phone, they installed a new modem,etc. Just to jump ahead a wee bit...if I go with a new router, I am hopefully looking for something I can just plug in and go...without all the over the top settings,etc. I like the CISCO/LINKSYS type stuff and would be looking for something easy to switch out and something more advanced and up to date...Any thoughts????

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have xfinity. I have phone, TV and cable. I have a modem/router combo. If you have phone I'm fairly sure they went from just a modem to the full modem/router. My sister has xfinity without phone and just has a  modem. You might not need another router. I didn't for the first time in a long while because their device gives me a good signal all over the house.

All consumer routers have the same basic setup. Plug PC into it, surf in, setup new username and password, setup wireless, setup wireless security, plug it up to the modem, unplug, plug it back in, and it's all good.

#9 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Do you know or can you suggest a specific Cisco/Linksys modem? Something new, with features,etc.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:42 PM

The modem is from COMCAST and only 3 weeks old, new out of the box. I went with the INFINITY package ( phone , internet, Tv). Already had internet and TV, but when I added phone, they installed a new modem,etc.

What is the manufacturer/model number of the modem? Depending on which one you have I might have more to ask/offer, and is something CaveDweller already mentioned.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 September 2015 - 01:43 PM.

#11 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:49 PM

It says...Media Access TC8305C...there is a guide to using this as a combo router/modem,etc. But way above my ability. I have a small home based business and cannot afford to be down trying to configure 4 computers, plus wireless accounts through this device. It would cost $$$$ to have someone come and setup,etc. I had the router approach because I did not have the Infinity Package before ( TV, NET,PHONE). This above referenced TC805C unit just showed up when I added phone .Previously,  The router was an easy setup.....So if I just change the router rather than trying to  use the TC as the combo, it works a lot easier for me and my limited experience...thanks again...thoughts?

Edited by jake21, 11 September 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:19 PM

Thank you for the modem information.

Your modem is a Technicolor TC8305C.

Is the gateway unit in BRIDGE MODE?

Bridge mode disables the wireless router function of the gateway so you can use your own router.

If you don't have it in bridge mode and are using the router that could be part of your problem. I can't recall if using both at the same time still allows internet access.

If you don't know if it is in bridge mode you can easily check.

Go to the gateway administration page here http://10.0.0.1/ and sign in.

•Default username (case sensitive): admin
•Default password (case sensitive): password

If you have changed the password use the one you set up.

On the first page of the admin tool you will see something related to bridge mode.

If you do have it set to bridge it will tell you.

If not, set it to bridge mode.

When I had to use my gateway for a few days in July due to my router going bad, I had a horrible experience with the gateway.

While the signal was good every where in the house, my speeds went down and were slower than a turtle.

A 30 second download took an hour.

Another one that should have taken less than a minute took all night and it still had not finished downloading by the next morning.

I got a new router a lot sooner than I had planned on getting it.

Each person has a different experience using the gateway unit. You will have to see what it does for you.

If you decide to use the gateway, unhook the router and put it aside.

Scroll down and click Save or whatever it says.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you exactly what the page says because the admin page seems to be down at the moment for me. It may or may not be down for you.

After you set it to bridge mode, you might have to reconnect to the network you set up with your router.

If successful, see if the issues still occur or if they are resolved.

If not, it will be your router, which you can either replace or take the gateway out of bridge mode and use that for your wireless.

edit to add: if you don't know if the gateway is in bridge mode and the admin page is down and are feeling adventurous you can always unhook the router and see if you can connect to the internet using the gateway. You will need to know the default name of the gateway network and password to connect to it. This can be found on a sticker somewhere on the gateway. (if you do use it you can also change the network name and password from the long one supplied by Comcast without having to go to the admin site. I can tell how to do that if needed).

Edited by Queen-Evie, 11 September 2015 - 02:34 PM.
corrected month I had to use gateway

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

Same one I have. As I said before, all routers have the same basic setup. And what Queen said is true if you've done the setup on that device before, But the first time you do the setup, it's a bit different. So plug a PC into one of the ports on the back, plug in the device and boot the PC. Open browser and type 10.0.0.1, hit Enter, and the first screen has you setup the wireless SSID(s) and password(s) for both the 2.4 and 5.0 Mhrz wireless(they can be the same or different, there is a check box) and setup a new admin password. I had to reset mine back to factory just last night, so I know that is all it takes. Then just connect whatever wired to it you need and the SSID(s) will show on the things connecting wireless and enter the password(s). Now if you need ports forwarded or static IPs and stuff like that, there's a bit more to it.

Seriously took me less than 2 mins. Well once I realized I didn't want the same SSID for both wireless frequencies lol

But in the end, you do what you're comfortable with. I have used all sorts of routers, with stock firmware and aftermarket firmware. It is nice for once to have it all in one box. Of course this is the first IP provided wireless that didn't suck so lol

Edited by CaveDweller2, 11 September 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

I played around with it to back in late July. I wish I could remember what I did and what happened when I did it.

Right now, I am not inclined to do it again.

I can however, tell you how to change the network name and password without using the admin page.

Directions here for using the smart phone My Account app OR online from My Account
http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-username-and-password/

If you want to change the password to sign in to the admin site you will have to do it from there.

#15 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

Wow...great ideas....I'll put on my dumbo cap and ask this:

I see on the side of the Mofem/Router a network name and password., is this the info I need on the link mentioned above ( http: 10.,etc.).

Ok. logged....re read your instructions....I disabled the bridge mode, it was in bridge mode. Let me see how it does now.

Thanks for the help.....as you can see I am a bit challenged....

Edited by jake21, 11 September 2015 - 03:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users