Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I disable PrismXL in my list of Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:07 PM

I an running Windows XP sp2, and I'm investigating browser crashes.  Under Administrative Tools->Services, all of them are either Manual Or Automatic, except one called PrismXL which says boot.  Can I just disable PrismXL - do I need it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

See this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/PRISMXL.SYS-10410.html

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Hi, I will temporarily rename it so it cannot load.  If my computer were to fail to boot, I can always boot in Linux and rename it back.  I think it's ok to disable it that way.  Here is another link in case anyone has an interest.

http://processes.glarysoft.com/PRISMXL.SYS/5079/

I'll post how things go.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:23 AM

If you are experiencing browser crashes with XP SP2...I would have to suspect that you are missing a lot of critical updates, including that for IE 8, and your system vulnerability rating is much higher than it has to be.

You might want to do a serious check for malware, in the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

If you are experiencing browser crashes with XP SP2...I would have to suspect that you are missing a lot of critical updates, including that for IE 8, and your system vulnerability rating is much higher than it has to be.

You might want to do a serious check for malware, in the Am I Infected forum.

Louis

I have done numerous scans and gotten rid of a lot of strange stuff including one thing that was locking up my atapi.sys.  That's gone.  I just want someone to analyze the Mozilla reports from either Mozilla or a forum.  I will probably start looking at Mozilla itself tonight.  I favor simply finding the exact culprit at this point.

But as far as updates, I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Mozilla and Google Chrome.  I know when it comes to Yahoo Messenger, you have to keep with Internet Explorer anyway so it will be nice when I can finally get sp3 to run in it's entirety, however, at present, sp3 will not run all the way through before it gives the message "Data is invalid".  I've posted the exact log of this including the FileQueue message separately.  Perhaps myself or someone will figure out the problem.  Those are the two issues - the browser crash report and the sp3 update that I want to work on.  I've scanned my computer silly with tools.  I might try some more but I would think there is little malware left at this point.  I don't know though - things like chkdsk, defrag, I might still need to do thiese.  But chkdsk will not run.

The crash is occuring in the xul.dll of Mozilla.

Edited by PetarSickey, 11 September 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

If you want someone to delve into system issues, other than the title for this topic...based on detail that you submit...then I suggest that you initiate a new topic with a simple title like "System Issues?"

Malware does not discriminate when it comes to browsers...whether you use IE or Chrome or whatever...malware can land on your system.  I've suggested the way to proceed if you want to be more certain that you do not have a malware problem.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users