Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Firewall is not using the recommended settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 YourBestFriend

YourBestFriend

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

Hello,

Everytime I startup my computer I get a security alert that says the firewall isn't using the recommended settings. Even if I click "update settings now," it will come back after a restart. I've tried restoring the default settings for the firewall and using the tweaking.com software, but it does not fix the problem. How do I get rid of this?

Here is a picture: https://i.gyazo.com/31d48fb9a195ffc838357b5258947963.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 10 September 2015 - 02:35 PM.
moved from Vista to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hi there,

Are you using a third party standalone firewall (i.e. Comodo Firewall) or an antivirus internet security suite?

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:33 PM

According to the pic you uploaded, Security center is reporting that Windows firewall is off.  Check services and be sure that "Windows Firewall" is running and is set to automatic.  After that, I would recommend going to Windows Firewall settings, go to the advanced tab, and restore defaults. Then run the firewall repair found at tweaking.com again.   http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/repair_windows_firewall.html

EDIT: Also, what is the issue with "malware protection" ?  It is also showing an issue in Security Center.

Edited by MarkMCS, 10 September 2015 - 07:57 PM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 YourBestFriend

YourBestFriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:45 PM

Hello,

Hi there,

Are you using a third party standalone firewall (i.e. Comodo Firewall) or an antivirus internet security suite?

I do not have any third party firewall installed on my computer. I am currently using Avira's free antivirus.

According to the pic you uploaded, Security center is reporting that Windows firewall is off.  Check services and be sure that "Windows Firewall" is running and is set to automatic.  After that, I would recommend going to Windows Firewall settings, go to the advanced tab, and restore defaults. Then run the firewall repair found at tweaking.com again.   http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/repair_windows_firewall.html

EDIT: Also, what is the issue with "malware protection" ?  It is also showing an issue in Security Center.

The service Windows Firewall is already running and set to automatic. For the "malware protection", security center doesn't recognize Avira Free Antivirus as a virus program. I think this happened when I ran the tweaking.com repair. Here is another screenshot. https://i.gyazo.com/a67537bb26685880d50b6772d4f3833c.png

Which boxes should I check for the repair?

Cheers!

Edited by YourBestFriend, 11 September 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#5 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

OK.  First thing is that Avira is not supported in Vista, which is probably why Security Center won't recognize it.  I recommend Avast or AVG free.  (I am currently using Avast, but it isn't that user friendly and settings can be confusing.  I used AVG for 3 years without issue.)

Download AVG 2015 free, then uninstall Avira and install AVG.  

Go to security center and turn on windows firewall.  

Please do this and let me know what happens.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#6 YourBestFriend

YourBestFriend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

OK.  First thing is that Avira is not supported in Vista, which is probably why Security Center won't recognize it.  I recommend Avast or AVG free.  (I am currently using Avast, but it isn't that user friendly and settings can be confusing.  I used AVG for 3 years without issue.)

Download AVG 2015 free, then uninstall Avira and install AVG.  

Go to security center and turn on windows firewall.  

Please do this and let me know what happens.

Hello,

Uninstalling Avira made the problem go away. Avast gives me memory problems for some reason so I installed AVG. Thanks for your help!

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:25 PM

On the three different systems I have used it on it has used a lot of resources and gotten real pushy about you upgradeing to a pay version. It got so bad I finally uninstalled it. On vista, however it did not release Win defender when it left. Didn't clean up very well when it uninstalled.  I found out later that Avast does have a program/app that will clean up the stuff it left behind.

The newer versions are a bit of a resource hog.  I won't even attempt to run it on here with Win 10.

I already do not have much spare resources as it is.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users