Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New windows partition unallocated

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ds123

ds123

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

I installed windows 7 on my SSD and used the HDD for data storage.

Windows boots okay but in Minitool partition wizard the drives are listed -

My Storage Drive (Drive D)

File System NTFS

Type Primary

Status Active and Boot

My Windows Drive

File System Unallocated

Type Logical

Status None

So is the storage drive being used as the boot drive?

How do i correct this please for correct boot?

Screenshot enclosed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

What media did you use to install Windows 7.

Disconnect the data and power cables from the SSD, then wipe the HDD with Darik's Boot and Nuke.

Reconnect the cables and see if you can boot from the SSD.

You will need to go to Disk Management and format the HDD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:37 PM

If it is booting from the hard drive, is their a way to just move the boot to the SSD?

#4 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

I wiped the HDD, it said 1079 errors.

Now when i startup it says 'no operating system'.

The OS is definately on the SSD, it could be because it is not partitioned correctly, not sure.

I booted ok previous but i think it was booting from the other disk.

#5 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hi ds123,

What is the boot order in your BIOS?

Hedge

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:36 AM

If it is booting from the hard drive, is their a way to just move the boot to the SSD?

Enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the SSD is the first device in the boot order and the optical drive is the second device.  You do not want the HDD in the boot order since it now will only be used for storage.

You still have not answered my question regarding the media you used to install the operating system.  How did you install Windows 7 on the SSD?  Where did you get the copy of the installation media (media being a DVD or flash drive)?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:22 AM

I installed from a windows DVD. I tried the startup repair with no luck, in detection details it lists a corrupt boot sector.

Can it be fixed in diskpart?

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:32 AM

Please note:  In order to boot from the installation disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the DVD drive is the first device and the HDD/SSD is the second device.

1.  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2.  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3.  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4.  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5.  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6.  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7.  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8.  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9.  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10.  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Edited by dc3, 11 September 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#9 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

I have tried all this a number of times, it doesn't fix the problem.

I will run chkdsk to sort it out.

#10 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

chkdsk made some repairs to the file system.

Rebooted system now says 'a disk read error has occured'.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:46 AM

To do  the following you will need to use your installation disc to open the Command Prompt.

Go through the steps for the Installation Repair which you used previously until you get to step 7.  In the System Recovery Options click on Command Prompt.  Once the command prompt is open follow the instructions below.

How to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data (BCD)

Open the Elevated Command Prompt.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and then paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

#12 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

for bootrec/rebuildbcd i get 'element not found'

I tried re-installing windows from scratch onto the SSD but it hangs at 'Restarting computer...'.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:57 AM

Did you copy and paste the command in the command prompt, or did you type it in as it is seen in your last post?

What you entered in you last post was bootrec/rebuildbcd, there should have been a space between the c and the /.

As for the installation.  Where did you get the installation disc?  Did you purchase a retail copy with the product code included?

I'm trying to find out if your installation disc is at fault.

Edited by dc3, 12 September 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#14 ds123

ds123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

I decided to reinstall windows from scratch, and then loaded an old system image.

Now whenever the hard drive is attached the laptop hangs with a flashing cursor.

If i remove the hard drive, BIOS looks for other boot options then eventually boots the SSD.

When i put the HDD back in i can only boot the OS using Smart Boot Manager disc.

The disc was a retail copy and i have used it a number of times with no problems, i also checked both HDD and SSD, they work fine.

I went back to command prompt and entered bootrec /rebuildbcd and got the message you described, but i still get the hang at startup.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,023 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:48 AM

If you still have Windows installed on the HDD uninstall it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users