Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Info I gleaned from an otherwise fuitless hour on the phone w/HP tech support

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:05 AM

While trying to find out if the motherboard in my PC would support a 3GHZ processor upgrade which I still do not know LOL.

HP phone support was very conscientious trying to help but I did learn a few things that readers may want to know

First thing I learned was my PC is more of a notebook.Hp 15-f009wm 1GHZ 4 GB ram. I upgraded the ram to 8GB

all it will hold. The pc meets min. requirements to run Win 10 so I wanted to upgrade the processor because it is still slow as molasses.

HP's online I could not even find out what motherboard I had. Thankfully belarc advisor will run on 10 so I know I have a HP# 2330 99.24 motherboard  PEKFEoo8J6P9PL #ser.

This may have been covered already but the free upgrade key is only good until July 2016 and the tech said the work around will not work, you will have to buy a new key for it to continue to work.

I just had to reboot from another bios update so maybe it would support a 3ghz processor. That is the next bigger processor I can find locally.

Thought I would share and any help would be appreciated.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

While trying to find out if the motherboard in my PC would support a 3GHZ processor upgrade which I still do not know LOL.

HP phone support was very conscientious trying to help but I did learn a few things that readers may want to know

First thing I learned was my PC is more of a notebook.Hp 15-f009wm 1GHZ 4 GB ram. I upgraded the ram to 8GB

all it will hold. The pc meets min. requirements to run Win 10 so I wanted to upgrade the processor because it is still slow as molasses.

HP's online I could not even find out what motherboard I had. Thankfully belarc advisor will run on 10 so I know I have a HP# 2330 99.24 motherboard  PEKFEoo8J6P9PL #ser.

This may have been covered already but the free upgrade key is only good until July 2016 and the tech said the work around will not work, you will have to buy a new key for it to continue to work.

I just had to reboot from another bios update so maybe it would support a 3ghz processor. That is the next bigger processor I can find locally.

Thought I would share and any help would be appreciated.

The tech was wrong. You have until July 29th 2016 to get the free upgrade, but once you get the free upgrade it is good for the lifetime of the device.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:52 AM

That it was I thought I had read in some other posts. Thought I should mention it tho since this was supposed to be an official source.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

Just to clarify then you have a HP 15-f009wm as per the link?

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the processor on this model.  The info I have found indicates the processor is soldered to the motherboard, and not intended to be upgradeable.  E1-2100 CPU details on cpu-world.com

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Rats that is what I was afraid of.  I wonder if there are any techs around here ever done that. LOL

I am kinda leary of the local Geek Squad. I talked to several and they barely know which end is up.

Not ragging on them that was just the impression they gave.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:15 PM

I doubt the local Geek Squad would be prepared to change a soldered in CPU.  From what I understand, it needs high precision and ideally an x-ray machine or some other way to inspect quality of the solder joints afterwards.  Then there's the question of what (if any) CPU you could use in it's place in a motherboard not designed to be upgraded, and probably without BIOS support for any other processors.  It's not IMHO something that is practical.

For what it's worth, I think if you find the notebook too slow, you might want to consider using a lighter operating system.  Lightweight Linux distributions like Xubuntu should work, and will be a lot quicker than Windows on that type of PC.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Your laptop comes with Windows 8 (8.1) so the free upgrade to Windows 10 is available. 

Tekken

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:31 PM

Thank you I all ready have 10 my computer seems to not be able to handle it very well. Looking for way to make this thing into a real computer

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:33 PM

According to the link  jonuk76 posted (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04278796) it shows a 500 gig hard drive at 5400 rpm's. 5400 rpm hard drives are pretty slow, you should consider a 7200 rpm drive or even better a ssd drive.

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:45 PM

Since the case is not thick enough to instal a cddrive on here you probably can not do a hard drive either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users