Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can You Advice Some File Search Tool?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ntx

ntx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:15 PM

I had an idea a long time ago if I continue to work so hard, I necessarily will face with a problem when a great number of files on my computer will gone astray among hundreds of folders. And this is happened know, after the lapse of two years. So can you advice me some search software?

Edited by ntx, 16 July 2006 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:03 PM

Not sure which OS you are using. But here is a desktop search tool I have seen recommended before. http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 socializer

socializer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

Also good tool is the VistaGlance, very handy. I'm using it from march 06, it's free.
So there is a quote from official site:

VistaGlance is a revolutionary program with elements of artificial intelligence that gives you a wonderful ability to get documents you want or run programs you need within several seconds since you firstly think about them. VistaGlance utilizes results of original research in computer human interaction and human perception to increase efficiency of documents-related work up to 30 percents.

http://www.vistaglance.com

#4 Julius1

Julius1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

You could also use google desktop for file searching

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

I for one am very leery about Google Desktop.

The EFF, for one, is adamant users shouldn't trust Google with the contents of their personal computers.

"Unless you configure Google Desktop very carefully, and few people will, Google will have copies of your tax returns, love letters, business records, financial and medical files, and whatever other text-based documents the desktop software can index," EFF Staff Attorney Kevin Bankston said. "The government could then demand these personal files with only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need to seize the same things from your home or business, and in many cases you wouldn't even be notified in time to challenge it."

The rest of the article can be read here.

Be (Too Much Information) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 ntx

ntx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:24 PM

I for one am very leery about Google Desktop.
The EFF, for one, is adamant users shouldn't trust Google with the contents of their personal computers.

The rest of the article can be read here.

Yes, I don't want to use GDS, because of privacy safety.
Next... When I'd downloaded and installed Copernic and VistaGlance, I'd tried them one after another, Impressions - Copernic is a very powerful program, but comes, in my opinion, with very overloaded interface. So the VistaGlance is more convenient and easy to use in combination with good efficiency. Think I'll be using it further.

Edited by ntx, 24 July 2006 - 01:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users