Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron N7010 won't boot Windows 7 after downgrading from Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 twl54

twl54

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:43 AM

Had gotten the message from Microsoft that my laptop could upgrade to Windows 10. Did so on 7/29/2015 and things seemed ok, but it was very slow and wireless mouse's scroll wheel didn't function. Then bluetooth stopped working. Ran the program to go back to Windows 7 and it said it completed properly, but now it won't boot. Can't go to safe mode and when I looked there are no recovery points saved. Even though warranty has expired, Dell support agreed and sent me "Reinstallation DVD" for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit. My problem is that I really don't want to do factory reset type of install as we have thousands of photos on this laptop and they can not be replaced. Any help would be appreciated. I am using our desktop to post and I can not access the internet from the laptop. I did, when in adnavced menu, get it to boot once without the constant rebooting and it ended up at a blue screen saying I needed to run my anti-virus program. I am not that computer savy, so be prepared for a lot of questions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

You can still retrieve all your data. Download the Hirens boot disk here. Unzip the iso file to the desktop. Burn the iso file using WIndows 7 by right clicking it and selecting Burn Disk Image. On XP you can use Imgburn. If you use Imgburn make sure you opt out of any optional programs it installs. Attach a USB flash or external drive. Boot the Hirens disk and select MiniXP. Double click Computer. Your hard drive may be a different letter than C: 

Copy, do not move, the files from your hard drive to your external drive. Make sure you can open them on the other computer before doing the clean install.

If you do not have an available CD or DVD you can create a bootable USB flash drive. If you prefer this method then I will post the instructions.

Edit: You may want to also save your browser favorites or bookmarks.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#3 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure about the unzipping of the file to my desktop. I am assuming you mean to this desktop pc I am using right now and not the laptop, since I can't get to the desktop on it. Problem is this pc uses xp and the laptop uses Win 7. Last problem is I do not own an external hard drive, yes I know that is really high on the stupid meter, so I don't have anywhere to copy the files.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:24 AM

Yes, download the zipped file on your desktop. Unzip it on the desktop. Then burn the disk using your desktop. What OS does the desktop run?

If you do not own an USB external drive the only other option would be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and attach it to your desktop internally or use a USB adapter. If you are not comfortable doing this then your best option may be to have a good independent shop transfer your data from the laptop to a external hard drive. 

Do you have a USB flash drive?

Edit: You would only be able to attach the drive internally to your desktop if the hard drive interfaces were the same. An older computer may have an IDE drive and newer computer use a SATA interface and they are not compatible.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2015 - 10:25 AM.

#5 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Sorry, I am using XP on the desktop. I own a couple of small USB flash drives and removing the hard drive from the laptop will be a job for the Geek squad or someone other than my self. :(

#6 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Would this work? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:00 AM

If you can access the Repair Computer menu using F8 then do startup repair first without using those commands. It may take up to three tries before the computer is fully repaired.

#8 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

Sadly, I tried the repair several times with no luck. I will admit they were not one right after another, so I'll do it again. Did go to advanced menu and from there to command prompt. Interesting it takes to X:/windows/system32 when I was running 64. Saw a DIR that is called systwow64, but didn'do much more than cd to C to look around. Acts like something got messed up the boot instructions when downgrading back to win 7.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

System32 folder is used in both 32bit and 64bit windows. 

If Startup Repair does not work, tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Good Configuration.

#10 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Just tried the startup reoairvmany timed in a row. No change. Have an email inti Microsoft for assistance.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:43 PM

Okay, hope they can help with the problem. They should considering they are the ones who offered Windows 10 and reverting rendered your computer unbootable. 

#12 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

Tried last known good config, but that fails, also.

#13 twl54

twl54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

I agree and hope that since their win 10 caused this and they wrote all of windows, they can fix the problem.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

I missed your post on XP. You can create a bootable Hirens disk and then copy your files to one of the flash drives. Depending on the size of the flash drive and data recovered it could take awhile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users