Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Win 10 as a dual boot

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Raymondo44

Raymondo44

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

Hi, Having transferred my Win 7 sp1 to a ssd, I want to install Win 10 (via ISO disc) and have it as a dual boot system.

I did install Win 10 on another drive and it worked as a dual boot. Now it doesn't. NTLDR missing.

Anyway, I now want to install Win 10 on my previous 'C' drive which is now 'E' drive. 

I have formatted this drive several times and it shows the drive is 465GB's free (screen-shot added).

When I try to install Win 10 via the ISO disc, Windows 10 installation (custom) says not enough space.

Can anybody give me a solution to this problem?

Raymondo44

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2015 - 12:40 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Win 10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Assuming that you have two separate official licenses for Windows products, you really should have no problems with the system that you displayed. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

Didn't really answer my question. Win10 is free for 1 year (from July '15) so no licence required yet. 

I want to know why Windows is saying not enough space (465GB free on disc) and therefore not able to install.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:23 AM

Who told you that? Somebody misinformed you. It is possible to upgrade from an officially licensed copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 for free for the first year, but Windows 10 is not free for one year. Since I have never heard this before or read it anywhere, I can only assume that somebody has mislead you. A license is required the minute that you upgrade or purchase Windows 10. Once you obtain an officially licensed copy of Windows 10, you should have no problems installing it in your PC.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

Hi, well this is interesting! As I said previously, I did install Win10 on another drive and I used it until I moved the original Win7 to ssd. Having done that, I had to delete the manufacturer's partition (recovery etc), as it seems necessary for installing any O/S on the first partition. With the drive now wiped and formatted, I am at the stage I explained.

From my understanding, I could use Win10 until it was time to buy the licence.

When installing Win10, the licence page allows it to be skipped and so on, which is what I did with the original install. So therefore, I assumed that since there is an option to skip the licence numbers my reasoning is OK.

I attach a camera picture of the installation screen for your info, which is just after the licence page.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:11 AM

The reason that you can skip the license input step is because with Windows 10, activation is done in the cloud. After you install Windows 10 on an officially licensed Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 machine, the information regarding that particular machine is communicated to Microsoft and stored in the cloud. After the first installation of Windows 10 over an officially licensed copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, then you can clean install Windows 10 and you will not need a product code. In your situation, assuming you have two separate licenses for both copies of Windows, you have to install Windows 7 first, then install Windows 10. That is really the only way that the partition will be able to dual boot properly. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:25 AM

Still mystified.

With my original install of Win10, I did exactly as I'm doing now, except the message 'Unable to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain the required free space'. The only difference is the moving of Win7 to my new ssd.

So how did I achieve the first install?

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:22 AM

Are you using an ISO created using Microsoft's media creation tool?

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html?filter[2]=Installation%20and%20Setup

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:36 AM

If you use the ISO, you can establish a new partition, but do not do it on your first install of Windows 10. You still have to activate the license for Windows 10 by first installing OVER an officially licensed copy of Windows. 

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Thanks so much for your info and advice. I will think about it over the w/e.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

FWIW:  How to Clean Install Windows 10 - http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/  AND http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install .AND http://lifehacker.com/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-1720775893 .

Louis

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:01 PM

Your "System" partition is only 100mb & needs to be at least 400 - 500mb in a Win 7/10 dual boot IMO.

[attachment=170160:system.JPG]

You can use the free MiniTool Partition wizard to shrink/extend etc partitions: http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/resize-partition.html

Edited by Union_Thug, 11 September 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#13 Raymondo44

Raymondo44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi, Thanks for your information on my dual boot situation. Union_Thug says to increase System partition but the partition he highlights in his reply is on my 'C' ssd drive. I want to install Win10 on my original 'C' drive, which is now 'E', formatted (465GB of a 500GB disc) ready for this.

Forgive my ignorance but if I increase the partition as he says, it doesn't seem to make sense.

I downloaded the MiniTool partition and attach a screenshot.

Appreciate any help, info on this subject

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users