Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unbuntu

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Beel

Beel

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:04 AM

I have a W7 laptop & have been considering giving Ubuntu a try. So is it possible to down load Ubuntu onto my 8GB USB flash drive and try in from there instead of downloading it fully onto my laptop. If so instructions and any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any input here.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

So is it possible to down load Ubuntu onto my 8GB USB flash drive

Hi Beel,

Yes it is. I suggest using Unetbootin

#3 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:24 AM

Thank you AI 1000. I will give that a try and from there I can use Abuntu from the flash drive without downloading it to the laptop right?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:37 AM

Yes. Ubuntu will work entirely from the flash drive.

You will just need to configure the boot priority menu in your computer's BIOS so that it boots from USB, unless your computer has an option to boot from USB by pressing a certain key during start-up.

Personally I leave the boot priority menu in my computer set to always boot from Removable Device first, so if there is a bootable USB plugged in when I switch the computer on, the computer will boot from it, and if no bootable USB is plugged in the computer boots from the HDD.

#5 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:53 AM

Okay thanks again for that AI1000 I will give it a go. Cheers.

#6 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

Also, just note that Ubuntu.....Linux in general......in my opinion and experience......tends to run much faster than Windows OS's.

Even from a Live environment you will be surprised just how responsive the OS will be for you.

I have used Ubuntu on and off for many years but never full used it for more than a few months at a time.

However the latest Ubuntu builds are substantial better and far easier to use than ever before.

So, I will be staying with Ubuntu. Recommended Highly! 

I Love Lamp!

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

Also, just note that Ubuntu.....Linux in general......in my opinion and experience......tends to run much faster than Windows OS's.

Even from a Live environment you will be surprised just how responsive the OS will be for you.

+1! :thumbup2:

It's not just you, I feel it's fair to say that most any long term Linux user will agree with this, as well as many who have tried it for the first time. 

Though I run Linux Mint 17.1 MATE rather than Ubuntu, it runs rings around Windows. I've installed the 64 bit version of Linux Mint Xfce & MATE (depending on if the user wants more software installed out of the box) on Windows 7 computers that were struggling to run, and the computers ran much faster than when new. Most of the time, the person will fall in love at first sight & want Mint left on the computer. 

For safety & just in case the person changes their mind, or wishes to sell it later (Windows gives it a higher value), I image the drive & create a recovery media set, normally this hasn't been done. 

The greatest feeling of all is knowing that I've freed another person from the chains of Microsoft, usually for good. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:05 AM

Thanks pistol 22cal & cat1092. Well I am not sure about where to go with this exercise. I downloaded Universal-USB-Installer-1-9-6-1 and it now sits in Downloads on my W7 laptop. However when I click install I have a feeling it is going to install on the laptop wiping W7 which is something I certainly don't want as I want to keep W7 and try/use Ubuntu from the USB/flash drive when I want. So folks any further help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Ubuntu comes with its own installer, so there is no need to use any third party installer.

You don't need an installer anyway, to use Ubuntu from a USB flash drive. You can install Ubuntu to a USB flash drive, just the same as you can install it to an internal drive, but it is designed so that you can also use it without installing it at all.

#10 Beel

Beel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

Okay thanks again AI1000 I have tried to find it without success All I can find is Ubuntu down load which I downloaded to my W7 laptop and saved in downloads. When I wish to install from there to the USB flash drive no option is shown to do that all I get do you want to run Ubuntu but I think it will install over my W7 OS. which I don't want. So I know I am not the smartest by any means when it comes to things like this so could you either point me to the right download centre or give me some personal instructions which I would really appreciate.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:02 PM

When I wish to install from there to the USB flash drive

If you have only used Windows before, using an operating system "live" will be a new concept. You don't have to "install" Linux to be able to try it out.

You install Unetbootin to the USB drive. That's the only installing you need to do for now.

Then you will find the option to use Ubuntu from the USB stick on Unetbootin. Instructions are on the Unetbootin page I posted a link to.

So the first thing to do is download Unetbootin, then install it to your USB stick.

Please let me know if you have any problems, or if there's anything you don't understand.

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

The first couple of minutes of this video I found show how to use the Windows version of Unetbootin. Seemingly it doesn't need installed.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

I think you are wrong Al, Unetbootin gets installed/downloaded to the pc in question, as shown in the vid - it went to Downloads.  Then Unetbootin is used to Create a LiveLinuxUSB using, either a downloaded iso, or by just choosing an iso from the inbuilt list IN Unetbootin as shown in the vid.  It works from the pc, and installs to the USB, I don't think it ever gets installed to USB.  Sometimes these lists are not up to date - so downloading your own is best if it is supported by Unetbootin.  It's also a good idea - to go ahead and NAME that usb during formating so it is easy to choose from the Unetbootin list later.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,272 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:43 PM

Beel, have you considered just burning a LiveLinuxDVD?  DVD's are cheap, and this way you can try out 3-4 OS's before you install to usb.  If you have a burner on your pc you can do this.  Not trying to talk you out of the LiveUSB though.  The DVD's can always be of use later also.

Also, if you download something you might provide us with the link so we know you are downloading from a safe site.  Al000 provided you with a safe site for Unetbootin, and, all the instructions are there for the Creating a LiveLinuxUSB.

See ya!

Edited by pcpunk, 11 September 2015 - 07:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:50 PM

I think you are wrong Al, Unetbootin gets installed/downloaded

Downloaded and installed are not the same things.

It was downloaded, but not installed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users