Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random games freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Stefand26

Stefand26

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:04 AM

Since I upgraded to windows 10, I get random 0.5 seconds freezes while i play games, which run smoothly between freezes. I use an acer aspire 5742G laptop, Intel core i5 cpu 2.53 GHz, NVidia GeForce GT 540M gpu. I haven't had this problem before upgrading to windows 10. I am pretty sure overheating is not the issue - I have checked the temperatures, I also have a cooler. The problem also applies to games with low cpu usage.

Thanks in advance for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

That sounds like a common problem with Windows 10. A lot of people have problems with game performance, like you describe, in Windows 10. It is usually due to the video driver. Have you updated it recently?

#3 Stefand26

Stefand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:19 AM

Yes, my drivers are up to date.

Edited by Stefand26, 10 September 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Even if they are up to date, there can still be problems. As you said the problem applies to games with low CPU usage, which is most games. That means the problem is with the video card or the video card drivers. Since the only change is Windows 10 and therefore the drivers, it is most likely them.

What games specifically are giving you trouble? If it is Diablo 3, for example, you should post about in their tech support forum. Blizzard's support forum is very effective. That way you can know if it is the drivers, or something you can actually fix yourself. If it is the drivers or the game itself you will have to wait until there is an update.

#5 Stefand26

Stefand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

Until now it has only been LoL and Darkest Dungeon, haven't tried other games yet.

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:39 PM

Both those games cause stuttering here and there? If that is the case then it's got to be the driver/game version. Just wait for the patch. If you want to do something you can always report the bugs to the developer and or nvidia/amd.

Edited by Gorbulan, 10 September 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#7 Stefand26

Stefand26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:59 PM

Ok, should I reinstall my NVidia driver?

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Ok, should I reinstall my NVidia driver?

I doubt that will help. Usually if the driver is installed wrong you get bluescreens, not sudden brief moments of lag. You can try if you really want to.

If you do, I recommend using the latest Display Driver Remover tool. Nvidia's uninstaller is not very good at its one job. Make sure if you get DDU that it says it supports Windows 10 and the latest nvidia drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users