Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD upgrade question Samsung EVO or Crucial MX200

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dcaine100

Dcaine100

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:48 AM

Hi all I want to upgrade my fairly old PC by fitting an SSD drive, I had decided on the Samsung 850 Evo 250GB because it has better performance than the Crucial MX200 but after doing some research its seems the EVO may not work well with my P5Q motherboard.

Has anyone used the EVO with an Asus P5Q board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:19 AM

The difference between different ssd drives is marginal, so unless you're super performance concerned both should work.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Dcaine100

Dcaine100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for your reply, 2 last questions, I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD via a bootable USB stick, I'm currently using Windows 10 that is an upgrade of my original Windows 7 install.

Will my clean install of Windows 10 activate ok? And is it the same procedure as it would be if I was installing it onto a regular HDD?

Edited by Dcaine100, 21 September 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:59 AM

Out of curiosity, what prompted you to ask if there are any issues with that SSD and a P5Q motherboard?  I'm asking to see if there are any documented problems.  Theoretically, you should be able to connect an SSD into any supported SATA slot.  Depending on the supported SATA speeds on both the SSD and the motherboard, you may have better transfer speeds using certain SATA slots on your motherboard.

Windows 10 changes the upgrade dynamic a bit.  I believe it uses hardware ID's and minor changes shouldn't affect your ability to perform a clean install.  The actual product key may also be associated with your Microsoft Account.  There may be licensing issues depending on which version of Windows 7 you upgraded from, OEM/System Builder or Retail.

Are you replacing any other hardware or just the hard drive?

3939.png

#5 Dcaine100

Dcaine100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

While researching SSDs and my motherboard I came across numerous forum threads about problems people were having when using an evo ssd with the p5q that they didnt have with other ssds.

I ugraded from a retail version of Windows 7, after the ssd is upgraded im also planning on upgrading the graphics card and ram, is the licence still linked to the motherboard?

Also I have 6 red, 1 orange and 1 White SATA port not sure what the difference is?

Edited by Dcaine100, 22 September 2015 - 08:23 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2015 - 11:18 AM

Your motherboard manual should list the speeds of each SATA port.  Mine has SATA II and SATA III ports and they are differently colored.  SATA III is backwards compatible, so SATA II devices can be used in SATA III ports and SATA II ports can handle SATA III devices albeit at slower speeds.  If you get a SATA III device, you should connect it to a SATA III ports for maximum speed.

If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7 to 10, the license will carry over to 10.  Since you are using a retail license, not OEM or System Builder, you can move Windows from one motherboard to another.  You may need to use telephone activation if Windows is unable to do so via the online method.

3939.png

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:00 PM

The Asus P5Q only has SATA II ports.  It pre-dates SATA III I think.  There are 8 SATA ports in total, 6 linked to the Intel chipset (labelled SATA1-6), and 2 linked to an additional Silicon Image RAID chip (labelled SATA_E1 and SATA_E2) which are orange and white.  For most purposes, I would suggest using the Intel ports.  The manual is here if needed - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q/HelpDesk_Manual/

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users