Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Related Issue Causing Hangs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 awkwarddreamer

awkwarddreamer

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

Alright, as always, unsure if this is the correct place.

I made a thread about random hangs a while back but had no luck solving the problem but now I think I've isolated it a bit more.

Moving along, some basic information:

Windows 10 64bit Home Edition (upgrade from 7, then did clean install, now on a new hard drive as well)

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU   Q8300 @ 2.50GHz  2.49 GHz

2gbs of RAM*

Alright, so I had 6gigs of RAM (2 x 1gb and 2x 2gb) when the freezing/hanging started. About a week or two ago the computer randomly restarted with no warning (shortly after booting up) which I read was a sign of possible RAM failure (among other things). So I took out the 2x1gb sticks and ran for a while, hang happened about the same time if not a little later. Switched out the 2x1gb sticks and put in the 2x2gb sticks and I had one freeze (during huge install/stress) but other than that it's ran fine for the last week or so.

Assumed it was RAM so I bought some new ram as well as upgraded (maybe a mistake) to 2x4gb sticks. Running just the 2x4gb sticks, hangs happen within 30 minutes of booting up.

Switch back to the 2x1gb sticks and no problems over the last couple hours.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:12 PM

The first thing I would have done is,Run my Malwarebytes and done some scans

A PC randomly starting by itself,can be a sign of a virus or some kind of malware

You should have came here and went to the (Am I infected) forum before spending all that money

Or Windows 10 forum

#3 awkwarddreamer

awkwarddreamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

The first thing I would have done is,Run my Malwarebytes and done some scans

A PC randomly starting by itself,can be a sign of a virus or some kind of malware

You should have came here and went to the (Am I infected) forum before spending all that money

Or Windows 10 forum

I did all that. The problem followed me from windows 7. I've run several virus/malware scans. It's a hardware problem. I just don't know what. As I said though, I seem to have isolated it to the ram. Ram was only 35 and I wanted to get more anyways. It only restarted itself once.

I came to this section because ram is hardware and was hoping to get some suggestions. Closest I could find was adjusting RAM settings in BIOS but I'm on a Dell and they apparently lock the BIOS.

Edited by awkwarddreamer, 09 September 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

Looking at one of your older threads, I read it as the "hangs" were the system locking up including the mouse pointer, no error messages, no BSOD.  Is that the case?  And that has followed you from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 awkwarddreamer

awkwarddreamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:53 PM

Looking at one of your older threads, I read it as the "hangs" were the system locking up including the mouse pointer, no error messages, no BSOD.  Is that the case?  And that has followed you from Windows 7 to Windows 10?

correct

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:16 PM

You may have tried this already but MemtestX86+ is useful for testing memory.  They have a downloadable .iso (needs to be burned to CD or used to create a bootable USB stick).  Allow it to run for at least 3 passes.

Also Dell (it is a Dell PC I'm guessing from the older thread) do offer some online and offline diagnostic tools.  I've never used them, but they may be worth going through.

You will want to rule out overheating of any component as being a cause.  HWMonitor is a good tool for this if you don't have another preference.  Check what temperatures your CPU and GPU are getting to when you use the computer normally.  Clean out dust from heatsinks, fans, if necessary.

If temperatures are OK, a possible next step would be stress tests to see if they either provoke it into hanging/crashing, or to see whether any errors are generated.  It may help to pin down the problem to a specific component.

Prime95 - CPU/Memory torture test.  Blend mode puts tests both memory and CPU.  Stresses the system by calculating large Prime numbers.  Calculation errors can indicate processor or memory problems.  Make sure to monitor the temperatures (71 degrees c is the upper limit on that CPU)

Furmark - This puts extreme load on the video card.  It's very important to monitor GPU temperature and be prepared to abort if the temperature rises too far (I'd say if it climbs over 90 degrees c).

In the past I had a system with a faulty HDD or drive cable causing the kind of symptoms you mention (just a total lock up at random, no BSOD) but I note you've replaced the HDD.  It's worth double checking all SATA etc cables are fitted tight.  I would also suggest disconnecting any USB devices which aren't absolutely essential and seeing whether that improves things.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 awkwarddreamer

awkwarddreamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

I will check out HWMonitor. I was looking at some dell tools before it froze. I'll double back and see what I can do. I've been on the pc all day with no problems (but once again, I'm running just the 2x1gb sticks). Anytime I switch the sticks back is when it seems to hang, like the higher the ram the faster the hangs. I'll check back with my results and if I find anything. Thanks for the help :D

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:05 AM

It maybe doesn't like the higher density memory.  According to the chipsets specification, the highest memory it supports in total is 8Gb.  Whether that has to be across four separate modules (4 x 2Gb) or whether 2 x 4Gb modules can be used isn't clear.

Buried within the datasheet Intel states "Using 1 Gb device technologies, the largest memory capacity possible is 8 GB, assuming Dual Channel Mode with four x8 double sided un-buffered non-ECC or ECC DIMM memory configurations. Note: The ability to support greater than the largest memory capacity is subject to availability of higher density memory devices."  Which implies it should support higher density memory.  I don't think 4Gb single DIMMs were available in 2008, when the chipset was finalized, and the datasheet written.

DDR3 has been quite a long lived standard which has changed over the years, and there could well be compatibility problems using say the latest, 8Gb DIMMs in a system designed when the largest available were 2Gb.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 September 2015 - 10:06 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 awkwarddreamer

awkwarddreamer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:21 PM

So, possibility that the 2x4gb ram just isn't compatible and perhaps the 2x2gb sticks are failing? I'll have to see if I can find some more 2x2 to test with. Thanks for the help!

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:20 PM

No worries, and good luck :) 

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

I would also try safemode and or a clean boot just to further test the software side as even letting it sit in BIOS menu for the same duration when it freezes regularly in windows mode. The PSU might also be a problem or a not well seated memory stick or frequent interchanging is one possible cause. Sometimes removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes to reset hardware configuration when introducing new ram sticks would help as in your case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users