Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird noise in my computer [please help]

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leftdoc

Leftdoc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hi there i had a few months ago a hard drive problem it pretty much died so i send it to my store to fix it since i had warranty but since it came back it has been doing some weird noises i think its coming from the fan im not sure so i contacted asus and they told me to update my bios? and i cant becuse the version of the bios the sent is older than my current one so wat should i do guys should i downgrade my bios version or is there any other version also i still have warranty i just dont wanna go there becuse its kinda far away from my house and if it is something i can fix than i will.

Thank you.

I have out the sound my computer does down there.

Attached Files

• Attached File  som.wav   3.57MB   9 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:40 PM

Dear Leftdoc, strange computer noises can be just about anything from a fan blowing to a harddrive on its way out to a faulty power supply or simply dust and dirt getting inside the computer and on the fans and stuff. If your Bios is the latest version then don't do anything. I am not a expert but I also know that all computers over time will have a few noises that are basically normal.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#3 Leftdoc

Leftdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

Thank you so much atomic :D

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

If would help if your were to post the make and model of this computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

Pretty hard to know precisely without getting enough access to find out what the sound is actually coming from. It does sound very like a continually seeking hard drive, but that could be deceptive.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:39 AM

If this is a desktop, there's a old mechanic's trick you can use to isolate where the noise is originating from.  This involves the transmission of sound through a solid material.

Take a long handled wooden or plastic spoon and press the spoon end against your ear.  Then start pressing the handle end against the different components inside the case.  When you press this against the component making the noise the sound will be much louder than anywhere else.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Leftdoc

Leftdoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

Thank you guys so much for your help but i decided to take it to the warranty since i was driving by there the other day.

Again thank you so much for replying im sure with any future problems i will come here for assistance :D

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

Glad to be of service! :)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 212 posts