Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer switching on itself

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 redjim

redjim

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

I have noticed lately whenever I select shut down on my pc it will suddenly switch itself back on about a minute later and will keep doing it until I push the power button. 

Then it will stay off

Its a Lenovo pc recently upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 but it did'nt occur directly after the upgrade

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

Past personal experience, Has shown me that that is often a sign of a hack; malware; os someone else remotely controlling your computer.

I hope you have a good system image and a good verified back up of your personal data.

When you restore a PC it reverts back to the way it came from the factory. Anything added since is lost unless you have backed it up to some external storage/image.

The first few backs up I made came out perfect so I quit checking [bad mistake] something corrupted my back up software and my last 1/2 dozen or so back ups were blank.

Back up on a schedual  automatically and verify; verify ;verify..

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#3 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

Past personal experience, Has shown me that that is often a sign of a hack; malware; os someone else remotely controlling your computer.

I hope you have a good system image and a good verified back up of your personal data.

When you restore a PC it reverts back to the way it came from the factory. Anything added since is lost unless you have backed it up to some external storage/image.

The first few backs up I made came out perfect so I quit checking [bad mistake] something corrupted my back up software and my last 1/2 dozen or so back ups were blank.

Back up on a schedual  automatically and verify; verify ;verify..

I never got around to doing any form of back up, the pc is fairly new. If I did a system restore would I also go back to Windows 8.1? 

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

From what I have been reading at Microsoft in the fine print I think so.  I also found you have only 30 days to revert to earlier.  Mainly because after 30 days windows will automatically delete the necessary files that 10 is keeping.  However I have not found whether or not the restore partion {D} gets changed or not. If it came with 8 or 8.1 then it was probably created by 8 or 8.1. I just do not know if win 10 overwrites it when 10 installs.

The computer and windows do not loose track of time.

To me the question becomes should I make a back up now or wait until a few updates have been installed?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Hi redjim :)

Can you try something for me? Click on the Start Menu and enter System then click on the System (Control Panel) that will come up. From there, click on Advanced system settings in the left-pane and click on on the Settings... button under Startup and Recovery. Is the Automatically restart option checked or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hi redjim :)

Can you try something for me? Click on the Start Menu and enter System then click on the System (Control Panel) that will come up. From there, click on Advanced system settings in the left-pane and click on on the Settings... button under Startup and Recovery. Is the Automatically restart option checked or not?

Yes I will. I actually saw something about that as I was "googling" for information on the subject

#7 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:14 AM

From what I have been reading at Microsoft in the fine print I think so.  I also found you have only 30 days to revert to earlier.  Mainly because after 30 days windows will automatically delete the necessary files that 10 is keeping.  However I have not found whether or not the restore partion {D} gets changed or not. If it came with 8 or 8.1 then it was probably created by 8 or 8.1. I just do not know if win 10 overwrites it when 10 installs.

The computer and windows do not loose track of time.

To me the question becomes should I make a back up now or wait until a few updates have been installed?

I won't do anything until I check out Aura's suggestion. then I'll see about backing up.

#8 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:26 AM

I recently had a hard drive crash, so I really had no choice but to go to Win10.

Actually, I'm enjoying this version of Windoze. However, I did experience an issue with turning my desktop off using various means (Alt F4, pull down power settings, etc.) -- I would turn it off and it would start back up. Eventually I wound up having to hold down the power key to keep it off.

Doing some googling I found that there is a new feature in the Power Settings that allows for a "fast start". If you turn off this feature, it stops the restart:

Control Panel ---> Hardware & Sound ----> Power Options ---->System Settings: Shutdown Settings @ the bottom of the screen. Make sure the box is UNCHECKED. Save & exit.

This has worked for me. YMMV.

Edited by SubMariner, 14 September 2015 - 10:27 AM.

=SubMariner=

#9 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

I recently had a hard drive crash, so I really had no choice but to go to Win10.

Actually, I'm enjoying this version of Windoze. However, I did experience an issue with turning my desktop off using various means (Alt F4, pull down power settings, etc.) -- I would turn it off and it would start back up. Eventually I wound up having to hold down the power key to keep it off.

Doing some googling I found that there is a new feature in the Power Settings that allows for a "fast start". If you turn off this feature, it stops the restart:

Control Panel ---> Hardware & Sound ----> Power Options ---->System Settings: Shutdown Settings @ the bottom of the screen. Make sure the box is UNCHECKED. Save & exit.

This has worked for me. YMMV.

I'll be dong that as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks

#10 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:35 PM

I found the fast start and disabled it. I wonder why they would put such an irritating feature in the system?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

To speed up Windows' boot time, but that issue only exist on certain specific computers because it make conflict with a setting you have in the BIOS, under Windows or one of your hardware component.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#12 redjim

redjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Well its gone now. So thanks to you all. 

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:52 PM

No problem redjim, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users