Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

partition a HDD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 superking75

superking75

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

I need to back up my ps3. But to the point I need a HDD formated to fat32. I have a External hdd in ntfs that have data on it. Can I add a partition to it that is fat32 and still have the ntfs partition on it.

If so how?

thanks ahed of time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

You can do this but make sure FAT32 is the first primary partition on the drive. If it is the second PS3 may not detect it. You should also backup any data on the External drive because there is always a chance the partition moves can go bad.

Download Minitools Partition wizard. Attach the external and run Minitools. Click on the NTFS partition and select Resize/Move. Left click the left arrow of the partition bar and drag it to the right to shrink the partition to your desired size. This will leave unallocated space before the NTFS partition. Click on the Unallocated Space and select Create Partition. Format is to FAT32 and make it primary.

In Minitools all steps are virtual so you can delete anything and start again. Only after clicking Apply are the steps done.

#3 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:54 PM

ok thank you.

any idea on the time this will take?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:59 PM

It depends on the size of the external drive and the amount of data on it. It could take an hour or two.

#5 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:16 PM

what would i do if something went wrong

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

That is why you should back up the data on the external drive. If something went wrong you could partition, format the drive, and put your data back on the external drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2015 - 07:53 PM.

#7 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

ok so when I go in and do everything it then says both are primary.

Attached Files

Edited by superking75, 12 September 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

That is fine. You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a MBR formatted drive.

#9 superking75

superking75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

The partition and everything went without any problems,took about an hour. I will try to back up the ps3 a little later when I have a chance.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

Please post back how it went.

#11 vfix365

vfix365

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 12:49 PM

You can do this but make sure FAT32 is the first primary partition on the drive. If it is the second PS3 may not detect it. You should also backup any data on the External drive because there is always a chance the partition moves can go bad.

Download Minitools Partition wizard. Attach the external and run Minitools. Click on the NTFS partition and select Resize/Move. Left click the left arrow of the partition bar and drag it to the right to shrink the partition to your desired size. This will leave unallocated space before the NTFS partition. Click on the Unallocated Space and select Create Partition. Format is to FAT32 and make it primary.

In Minitools all steps are virtual so you can delete anything and start again. Only after clicking Apply are the steps done.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion friend i also have been the same problem but now i have resolved this problem by successfully dividing my partition .

Thanks again

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:06 PM

Your Welcome. Glad I was able to help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users