Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restart doesn't restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:00 PM

When I click the restart button the computer shuts down but does not restart. My computer has been cleaned and is/should be virus/spyware/malware free. I have run adaware, spybot, spysweeper, spyblaster, spyguard, processguard, norton AV, highjackthis, window washer, winpatrol,and zonealarm firewal. I use Firefox browser and thunderbird email, not that any of this is important , but just to give an idea that my computer should be realtively clean.
Even when a program asks me to click here to reboot, all i get is shutdown and have to push button to restart. In the grand scheme of things not a big deal, but I was just curious what could be causing this.
thanks for your help
trickyl

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 11:27 AM

This is usually caused by a driver conflict. Try updating all the drivers on your computer such as videwo card, sound card, network card, etc

#3 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 04 December 2004 - 01:05 PM

Instead of using the restart function from the start menu, I would like for you to see if a shortcut would work for you.

Right-click the desktop and select new->text document. Copy the code below and click File, Save as, change the file type as all files, and the name of the file restart.bat .

%windir%\System32\SHUTDOWN.exe -r -t 01

Let me know if it works or not.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#4 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2004 - 04:49 PM

shut it down but no restart. How would I update my drivers?Please forgive my ignorance, my windows updates are up to date.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:17 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but have been away and just got back. To download a driver you would need to go to the manufacturer's websites of the various hardware components in your computer.

For example if you had a nvidia video card you would go to http://www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver for it. Once it is downloaded you can install it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users