Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop has power but doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monodefuego

monodefuego

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hey there everybody.

I have a 2 year old desktop running Windows 7. It's worked perfectly, and was working perfectly when I left it last night. This morning I was surprised to find it shut down. When I turned the power on, it lit up like it's supposed to, the fans engaged, but I don't think I hear the hard drive spinning. The hardware on the desktop itself is functioning (the DVD tray opens, for example) but there is no output to any devices, so the monitor doesn't come on, the keyboard isn't on, etc. I've tried the obvious fixes (removing and resupplying power, checking external connections).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look. Sorry if I haven't included required information, I'm very much a layman.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:12 AM

The first step would be to eliminate any plugin cards and the drives.  Both 12 and 5 volt supplies are needed, but the 12 volt is mostly for the hard drive and optical drives.  With just the MOBO, onboard video if available, and keyboard to start.  If no display, the CPU is not starting.  I suspect the power supply is faulty.

#3 monodefuego

monodefuego
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:06 PM

First off, thank you for replying, I really appreciate it.

I just got done swapping out the power supply (I felt pretty confident about that explanation, too). Still has the same exact problem.

I've never tried to bypass a graphics card and boot with onboard video. I'll give that a try tonight.

In the meantime, though, it really doesn't sound like my CPU is starting. Is there any chance it could just be that I need to replace the CMOS battery, or am I probably looking at replacing the board?

#4 monodefuego

monodefuego
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:04 PM

Just removed the graphics card and tried to boot with onboard video. Same problem. That kind of leaves the CPU or the MOBO, right?

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:16 AM

MOBO or CPU, looks like that's the culprit.  CMOS battery failure shouldn't cause a complete failure to start but it can cause some very strange faults.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

The fact that the optical drive seems to work...makes me think that this is more video-related than MB or CPU...I would try a different monitor, first of all...to see if the problem replicates itself.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users