Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin type duties in Win10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Where do you go in 10 to do like disk cleanup or defrag or event viewer, logging etc. Is there a common place or do you just search for each indivdually?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:40 AM

Hi dannyboy :)

The Disk Cleanup utility can be accessed via the Start Menu (or Run command) by entering cleanmgr.exe. Same for de defragging utility (defrag.exe). For the Event Viewer, simply right-click on the Start Menu and select "Event Viewer". Usually, it's faster to just press on the Windows key to open the Start Menu and enter either the executable's name or the program name and access it that way.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:57 AM

dannyboy950,

Aura's method is the fastest. You can also press Win + R to open a run dialog so you can type cleanmgr.exe or the name of any program you want to start and press enter.

Alternatively, if you want to see the control panel in the older form, please follow the steps at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2691-control-panel-open-windows-10-a.html.

You can access disk management and the event viewer by right clicking the start button.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

I used to use a lot of Sysinternals tools but most have only been upgrade to win 7 not shure they will run on 10 or at least that is what I read on Mark Russianovic's blog.

Sent him an e-mail but it will be awhile before I expecta reply

He has to be a bussy man.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

The Sysinternal Suite tools works under Windows 10, I can tell you that :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

OOOOHOOOO good to know because I wanted to try the new whole suite, but I really want to be  able tuse them without  haveing to actually install them.

I have not figured out the  best way to do that. Right now I am thinking a usb dvdrom. This imitation computer I am useing has no cd/dvd rom.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

If you want to bring your usage of Sysinternal Suite tools to a new level, check out WSCC :)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582436/wscc-windows-system-control-center-a-tool-for-powerusers/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

OOOOHOOOO good to know because I wanted to try the new whole suite, but I really want to be  able tuse them without  haveing to actually install them.

I have not figured out the  best way to do that. Right now I am thinking a usb dvdrom. This imitation computer I am useing has no cd/dvd rom.

Dannyboy950,

I'm not sure what you mean by without having to actually install them. When you download the Sysinternals Suite from Technet (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb842062.aspx) it is a zip file. Few (none?) of the executables require installation. If you mean without accepting the EULA, when you accept it the executable creates a registry key. That key tells the program that the EULA was already accepted when you try to run it.

You can suppress the EULA for any of the executables by typing the name of the executable and passing the "/accepteula" argument (e.g. Bginfo.exe /accepteula).

packetanalyzer

Edited by packetanalyzer, 09 September 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:09 PM

Ok when I was a network engineer I used to have a dvd/cd with a lot of different tools on it that I could take from computer to computer regatdless of the OS and run those tools directly off the cd/dvd. I am not shure that can be done anymore. Kinda what I was getting at.

Aura I will look into that link for wscc

Let me clarify I was not an administrater, I worked mainly with the hardware.

Edited by dannyboy950, 09 September 2015 - 04:12 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

danny, you mean "live CD" or "live USB"? These stills exists (just take a look at any Linux distro), however, most of them cannot be discussed on BleepingComputer due to legal reasons (since most of these tools incorporate proprietary software without their author's authorization).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:39 PM

10-4 I comprostand

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

:)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users