Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access the BIOS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Hi everyone...

So, I have a friend's HP Pavilion sitting here in my office. I need to do a hard drive swap. The computer has one HDD, which is completely fried - it won't even power up. Straightforward job - she wants me to put in a new drive, and reinstall Windows 7 on that drive.

Here's the problem: I've been trying to access the BIOS - specifically, to change the boot order - so that I can boot from the Windows disk and get the OS installed. The thing will NOT let me change the boot order. I've tried every POST keystroke and keystroke combination I can find - even from the HP forums, but the thing will not let me into the BIOS. The boot menu does NOT give me the option to change the boot order - which I find perplexing.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:24 AM

If a desktop I would use the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS and possibly change the battery. When you are in the boot menu, you can't highlight a selection with the up/down arrow keys?

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2015 - 12:21 PM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:14 AM

Correct. Nothing highlights at all. The list of available devices is there, but nothing will highlight. How does one locate the jumper to clear the CMOS?

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

The CMOS jumper is only available on a desktop. What is the model number of the computer? For a laptop, you would need to remove the main battery, any power source and the CMOS battery itself but it can be difficult on some laptops. Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery and main battery. 

If the computer originally came with Windows 8 make sure Secure Boot is disabled. If the computer has UEFI see if changing to Legacy Boot works. You stated that you cannot get into BIOS by tapping F10. I assume you have also tried tapping the Esc key at boot.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03659945

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 12:30 AM

Escape, F1, F2, F3, F10, Delete, etc., etc.

This is a desktop. HP Pavilion p7 1414. It came with Windows 8 installed, but they want to go back to Windows 7. At the moment, there is a completely empty HDD in the computer, and a DVD drive. There is no OS - the old HDD fried on them, and I've put a new factory fresh drive in, with the intention of installing Windows 7. But I can't change the boot order, and it doesn't even attempt to boot from anything other than the HDD, even after failing to boot from that drive.

However, the link you provided is a page that I've not seen in my travels around HP-ville. I'll give that a try and report back ASAP.

Snowden03.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,422 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:30 AM

The big problem here is that SecureBoot is most likely enabled and if you cannot disable SecureBoot then no DVD or USB flash drive will boot. Here is the MB spec page. The CMOS jumper is most likely by the battery.

Not sure if it will help but try what was posted here. If that does not work I would try clearing CMOS with the jumper first. Pull the battery and power cable. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power cord. Reboot and tap F10.

Here is the manuals page.

You may have an issue with Windows 7 drivers. The only drivers available on the HP site for the P7 1414 is for 8.1 and 10. The MB has USB3.0 and USB2.0 but Windows 7 does not have native USB3.0 drivers. There may be other hardware that is not supported either. 

Here is a HP thread for a person trying to find the audio driver. 

Was this Windows 8 or 8.1? Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell would make the computer usable similar to WIndows 7. If you can get the disk to boot and you have issues with 7 you can download Windows 8.1 here. Because the key is embedded in firmware Windows 8.1 will self-activate when connected to the internet. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:17 AM

SecureBoot won't disable... So, there's no way for me to boot from DVD.

Honestly, this isn't a paying job - just a favor for a friend, but I'm not willing to put a bunch of hours into trying to resolve it at this point.

Yeah, drivers... Okay, I think, seriously, that this person will be better off just getting new machine. The drive is toast anyway (won't even spin up), and hubby has just bought a Windows 10 laptop, and he loves the new OS - and he's not even remotely computer friendly. Desktops are pretty inexpensive for what this person uses it for.

Thanks for your help, JohnC. I think I'm just going to pass on this one.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 12 September 2015 - 06:18 AM.

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users