Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyperthreading if more than 4 cores

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:59 AM

If I had more than 4 cores, regardless of application, would hyperthreading even be noticeable? Sounds to me like anything over dual core the gains become minuscule.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

Thank you,

Mac

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2015 - 05:24 AM.
Moved from System Building to Inteernal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

For normal person usage, it can be useful if you heavily multitask. I know some browsers are starting to be multi-threaded making each tab run on its own thread.

Hyper threaded quad cores have a lot of uses. They're great for gaming, number crunching, video editing, software video recording, streaming, CAD work, ECT

Besides gaming, most of those programs continue to scale the more cores are added. As for every day non-gaming use, a cheap quad core or a strong dual core is all that's needed and anything more is not going to be noticeable.

To answer your question.

Yes hyper threading is noticeable on programs that would use 6-14 core CPUs. If the program can use use 14 cores, then it should use the additional hyper threaded threads fine. However regular daily stuff, like facebook, don't benefit from more then 4 threads and don't scale very well at all.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:18 AM

If a program can utilize HyperThreading, it can be useful.  Normal day-to-day tasks, or background tasks, aren't that resource intensive and don't really benefit from using it.  There are some programs that see a performance increase using additional physical cores instead of HyperThreading.

3939.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:31 AM

It all depends on what software you use and how you use your machine.  I have a six core i7 in my machine.  The only time I use all 12 cores (due to hyperthreading) is when I encode video and that will max out all 12 cores.

Normal use I have three monitors.  I play World of Warcraft on one screen, watch a movie on another, and have a web browser open on the third.  I may be backing up a DVD or Bluray in the background.  In my usage having the additional cores available makes a difference.  If you only have one program open at a time and it isn't able to use more than four cores it won't make a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users