Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Windows 8.1 updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rozzer

rozzer

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

I received 22 updates to-day and I did install 11 of the Security Updates

but I'm unsure about the others and a few others besides.

Any advice appreciated

Updates received to-day

KB3060746

This article describes an issue that occurs when you try to open the Devices menu in PC Settings in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3066441

This article describes an issue in which characters overlap and are unreadable in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Server 2012. An update is available to resolve this issue. Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB 3075249

This article describes an update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB307715

This update supersedes and replaces the update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 3013410 that was released in December 2014. All additional time zone changes that were released as hotfixes after update 3013410 was released are incorporated in this update.

KB3078676

This article describes an issue in which event 1530 is logged, and user profile service (ProfSvc) leaks paged pool memory and handles in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3079318

This article describes an issue that occurs when you connect a Bluetooth device to an application in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3079850

This article describes an update for China Mobile Hong Kong (CMHK) in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows RT. Before you apply this update, notice that this update has a prerequisite.

This update adds a new entry in the Access Point Name (APN) database for the CMHK operator so that users can connect with the updated connection settings.

Note The Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 APN database contains information that is provided by mobile operators to enable Windows to automatically connect to their mobile broadband networks. For more information, see APN database.

KB3080149

This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

For any released product with an option to participate in CEIP, you can select to start or stop participating at any time. Most programs make CEIP options available on the Help menu, although for some products, you might have to check settings, options, or preferences menus. Some pre-released products that are under development might require participation in CEIP to help ensure that the final release of the product improves frequently used features and solves common problems that exist in the pre-released software.

KB3083325

This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This update has a prerequisite.

KB3092627

This article describes an issue in which programs or Windows may freeze after you install security update 3076895. Before you apply this update, check the prerequisites and the restart requirement. See the "More information" section to determine whether the computer has security update 3076895 installed.

Other update Queries

KB2976978

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3013816

This update adds the following functionalities to an MDM agent that is running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2:

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require a connected Microsoft account on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This includes explaining to the user what action is necessary.

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require BitLocker drive encryption for all fixed operating systems and data drives on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2.

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require automatic updates through Windows Update for computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This also includes the option to detect and require recommended updates.

KB3035583

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB3044374

This article describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 8.1 to a Windows 10. This update has prerequisites.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:14 AM

Personally, you can install all of them without any issues. However, if you are part of the users that want to "avoid" some updates because they are related to telemetry or Windows 10 (for whatever reason there is), opt these ones out.

KB3075249
KB3080149
KB2976978
KB3013816
KB3035583
KB3044374

However like I said, you could install all of them without any issue. The only one to be careful is this one: KB3013816 since it requires a Microsoft account. However, if you're already using one, you can install it without any problem.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:18 AM

Assuming you don't want Windows 10 or snooping advances, I've struck out the updates you should hide.   Seems like some of the others might not be relevant to you?  I grayed them out.  Seems you should hide them, too.  Don't take my word for it, though.  See what the others say.  :wink:

I received 22 updates to-day and I did install 11 of the Security Updates

but I'm unsure about the others and a few others besides.

Any advice appreciated

Updates received to-day

KB3060746

This article describes an issue that occurs when you try to open the Devices menu in PC Settings in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3066441

This article describes an issue in which characters overlap and are unreadable in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 8, Windows RT, or Windows Server 2012. An update is available to resolve this issue. Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB 3075249

This article describes an update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB307715

This update supersedes and replaces the update that is described in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 3013410 that was released in December 2014. All additional time zone changes that were released as hotfixes after update 3013410 was released are incorporated in this update.

KB3078676

This article describes an issue in which event 1530 is logged, and user profile service (ProfSvc) leaks paged pool memory and handles in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3079318

This article describes an issue that occurs when you connect a Bluetooth device to an application in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1. An update is available to fix this issue. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.

KB3079850

This article describes an update for China Mobile Hong Kong (CMHK) in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows RT. Before you apply this update, notice that this update has a prerequisite.

This update adds a new entry in the Access Point Name (APN) database for the CMHK operator so that users can connect with the updated connection settings.

Note The Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 APN database contains information that is provided by mobile operators to enable Windows to automatically connect to their mobile broadband networks. For more information, see APN database.

KB3080149

This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

For any released product with an option to participate in CEIP, you can select to start or stop participating at any time. Most programs make CEIP options available on the Help menu, although for some products, you might have to check settings, options, or preferences menus. Some pre-released products that are under development might require participation in CEIP to help ensure that the final release of the product improves frequently used features and solves common problems that exist in the pre-released software.

KB3083325

This article describes an update that contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This update has a prerequisite.

KB3092627

This article describes an issue in which programs or Windows may freeze after you install security update 3076895. Before you apply this update, check the prerequisites and the restart requirement. See the "More information" section to determine whether the computer has security update 3076895 installed.

Other update Queries

KB2976978

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

KB3013816

This update adds the following functionalities to an MDM agent that is running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2:

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require a connected Microsoft account on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This includes explaining to the user what action is necessary.

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require BitLocker drive encryption for all fixed operating systems and data drives on computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2.

• Enables an MDM management service to detect and require automatic updates through Windows Update for computers that are running Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2. This also includes the option to detect and require recommended updates.

KB3035583

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

KB3044374

This article describes an update that enables you to upgrade your computer from Windows 8.1 to a Windows 10. This update has prerequisites.

Thanks

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#4 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

Great

Thanks Aura

Cheers

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:20 AM

No problem rozzer, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:21 AM

Thanks also Brainout

Cheers

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:35 AM

Also, even thought I'm not fond of what is being done in it, rp88 have a thread calling the "Windows Update Monitoring" thread where information related to updates are being posted: good, bad, Windows 10 related, telemetry, etc.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/551980/the-windows-updates-monitoring-thread/

unite_blue.png

#8 rozzer

rozzer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

Thanks Aura

I will follow that thread in future regarding 8.1 updates, maybe I should have posted my query there instead..

Cheers anyway

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:22 AM

No problem rozzer, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users