Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COA stored in BIOS???

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hello, I am helping (trying to help) a friend with their laptop.  It originally came with Windows 8 on it, and someone attempted to install Windows 7 on it.   They and I don't know exactly what happened but now the system won't boot past the Windows 7 glowing logo, no safe mode either.  There appears to be 5 partitions on hdd. 2 systems/2 recovery/ and one where "OS" is installed.  I've used MagicJellyBean Keyfinder to get a product key, and it states that it is Windows 7 and gives Key, same results from ProductKeyfinder from another program.  If I attempt to install Windows 8 from an OEM disc that I have with the COA be automatically inserted from the UEFI/BIOS???  

Thanks 

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

snglnluvnit,

If you re-install from OEM media the OS should activate using the OEM key burned on the media. If you have a good backup of all of the data, then you might want to boot to the OEM media and delete all the existing partitions and start over.

Is that reasonable in this case or do you need data from the non-bootable installation?

Please let me know if you have other questions.

packetanalyzer

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

Yes, but you can download a clean iso of Windows 8.1 here. Don't use your OEM disk as it does not have the correct drivers. Pick the same version as what was initially on the computer, home or pro.  Burn the iso and do the install. When connected to the internet the OS will self activate. See this guide for doing a clean install showing how to delete all partitions. You may need to update the drivers after the install such as wireless and LAN. It may be a good idea to download these ahead of time from the computers support site.

Edit: If that OEM disk is for the computer you are trying to reinstall 8.1 on then go ahead and use that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 September 2015 - 08:48 AM.

#4 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

The OEM disc is NOT the original from the MFR, just one I have, the PC did not come with a disc, and the COA that came with disc is being used by one of my PCs. So JohnC_21 if I understand you correctly, I can download/burn iso and install (clean) and the PC will "self activate" with the original COA?  Is this correct?

Thank you,

Scott

#5 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:51 AM

Worst case, if the COA is not automatically entered during the Windows 8 installation, you can type the Product Key in and activate Windows 8.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:01 PM

It should self-activate. If not you can add the key after install. Find the key in firmware using Produkey. You can confirm the key using FirmwareTablesView. Look under the MSDM table.

If Windows 7 is currently running you can grab it now with firmwaretablesview. 

The key can also be pulled using a live linux disk but I don't think you will need it.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/firmwaretablesview-to-retrieve-windows-8-1-product-key-from-bios

For a clean install of Windows 8 see this guide

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 September 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#7 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:14 PM

No, the Windows 7 installation is not running, stops booting at glowing Windows 7 logo.  No safe mode either.  I got the Windows 7 product key for using MagicJellyBean Keyfinder/ProduKey (Nirsoft) while hdd was hooked as an external hdd.  I would like to put 8/8.1 back on it for them.  

There seems to be some confusion.  First the system does not boot, second I don't have a Product key for Windows 8/8.1 other than knowing that is what the PC came with originally.  The only key I have is from a "partial???" windows 7 installation.  

Thank you,

Scott

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Don't worry about that. When you install Windows 8.1 it should recognize the key in firmware. If not, continue installing once Windows 8.1 is installed you can use Produkey to pull the key from firmware and use that to activate if it does not self-activate which it should. I provided a link in my previous post on how to add the key and activate.

If it doesn't self activate you can also try the method shown here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 September 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#9 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hey JohnC_21, WOW, thanks for the knowledge!!  I was able to pull the key from the "Windows.old/Windows" folder for the original Windows 8.1, but it is REALLY nice to have the other knowledge for future needs.  Case closed. 

THANKS to all who assisted!!

Scott

#10 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

Okay...I got 8.1 installed, drivers updated, system updated, and Windows activated automatically..GREAT SO FAR!!!  They don't want Windows 10, so I uninstalled KB3035583 and hid it as well.  I also hid the notification in the task bar. Rebooted, and the Windows 10 notification still shows up in the notification area.  How do I get rid of this?

Thanks 

Scott

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:42 PM

Have you tried cancelling the reservation

There are also a couple of registry keys  and files that need to be deleted.

https://techjourney.net/disable-remove-get-windows-10-upgrade-reservation-notification-system-tray-icon/

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#12 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:34 PM

Alright, I renamed the GWX folder and that did the trick.. ALL GOOD!

Thanks everyone,

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users