Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

viewing pages that load a lot of adds in edge.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

I notice when viewing pages that have a lot of adds with edge they have trouble [slow] loading. I guess it is edge trying to stop all those adds. Oh where is adblock+ and no script when ya need em.  Ohh thats right they won't run on edge.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Adblock is coming as Edge doesn't allow extensions yet. Look for them in thresold (Basically a Service pack ) in November or October. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

If you want, you can always use a managed hosts file (like hp-hosts or MVPS Hosts) to block ads while waiting for extension support in Microsoft Edge. Or just use another web browser that allows the use of extensions.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

Ok I am going to mention this at least on this computer Opera and Safari do not play well with 10 right now I have them both and I am not shure if I want to go back to Firefox. I still contend that that was when my problems with my Vista machine Quadrupaled until it would no longer even run.

I used firerfox for many many years one of the most secure browsers in a decade or so I thought.

I did manage to get a working copy of Aviator and it does nearly all it's creators claimed despite all the bad publicity Google was spouteing.

To be honest tho the download has been modified some from the original version

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:17 PM

Safari for Windows was discontinued years ago, so I really doubt that it'll run smoothly on Windows 10. Opera might not be fully compatible with Windows 10 yet, depending on the version (release) you're using.

I would rather use a hardened Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome than Aviator.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

Have you actually tried it or just going by what Google says about it.

I have used it on here several times with no issues and few adds. It is a bare bones browser tho, probably why NSA: NASA and several gov agencies use it in-house.

Just saying.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:35 PM

I've helped quite a few users that had technical issues with it. Mostly troubleshooting or it wasn't working properly. Plus, as long as a browser is based on Firefox or Chromium, I don't see any reason to use another (except if you want to use Mozilla Firefox 64-bit, then a web browser like Waterfox is acceptable for me).

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

The main point I am trying to make is to be shure you have a back up browser in case the one you use breaks in some way. Your browser is your gateway to the internet you can not get on. No matter how or what others exist on line they are no good if you can not get online to get them.

Have some all ready installed. It really does not matter which ones just have some alternatives just incase.

All I am saying/suggesting.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

I have Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge. So I have two back-ups if one fails :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Ok I am going to mention this at least on this computer Opera and Safari do not play well with 10 right now I have them both and I am not shure if I want to go back to Firefox. I still contend that that was when my problems with my Vista machine Quadrupaled until it would no longer even run.

I used firerfox for many many years one of the most secure browsers in a decade or so I thought.

I did manage to get a working copy of Aviator and it does nearly all it's creators claimed despite all the bad publicity Google was spouteing.

To be honest tho the download has been modified some from the original version

FYI

Apple dropped support for Safari years ago. It's really not safe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/25/is-apples-safari-for-windows-dead/

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

Many adverts on webapges can be a result of one of two things:

1. the webpage has a lot of adverts on it
2. the computr is infected by some kind of adware which is inserting extra adverts into pages

Usually you can tell the latter because it shows adverts on pages (such as bleeping computer's pages when you are logged in) which never have had adverts on them before, and which do not have adverts on them when viewed from other computers.

In the latter case removal of the adware is needed, if this is your case the "am i infected" and "virus and mwalre removl" forums are the place to go.

In the former case, and also in the latter case after the adware has been removed, you migth consider switching to a browser for which adblockers are already available, for even more complete prevetnion of adverts you could use firefox with the Noscript and Adblock Plus extensions installed (both work well togther). Noscript prevents scripts except those you allow (you'll have to allow certain scripts from trustworthy sites when you want to do things like logging into sites or watching videos) and adblockplus prevents adverts from showing on any pages where you have to allow many scripts. Noscript alone can be quite good at blocking adverts, although this isn't it's primary purpose it is a side effect of waht noscript does, because almost all adverts work via scripts. Blocking adverts and scripts is a very sensible thing to do, because thesedays so many adverts are infact malvertising (the use of adverts to deliver viruses via drive-by exploits). malvertising can, and does, happen on big trustworhty well knonw sites, because the adverts are coming from third party* ad networks some of which do not strictly check through their adverts to remove those which contain exploit code. Running an adblocker prvents these adverts, running Noscript prevents this sort of malvertising and alos many other methods of drive-by infection.

Along with this you might want to run an anti-exploit program too, I don't know (but expect) that malwarebytes anti-exploit works with windows 10, it certinly works well with firefox noscript and adblock plus on windows 8 and 8.1. It adds another layer, behind the browser, against exploit attacks which some adverts might deliver.

As a backup browser you can have chrome installed alongside firefox, chrome now includes some forms of ad blocking (the blocking of flash adverts in page corners unless the user allows them) built-in and there are third-party ad blcokers for it as well. Chrome, like firefox, can be given extra protection using malwarebytes anti-exploit.

Then if both chrome and firefox fail you can use ms's built in browser to navigate to chrome's/firefox's site and re-download chrome/firefox.

*What you get is something like the following: big trustworthy site which displays adverts on the corners-->the large ad network prividing these adverts is infact getting it's adverts from other smaller ad networks--> each of these gets adverts from other, yet smaller, networks-->one of these tiny networks, however many steps down the chain, is tricked into hosting an exploit advert-->and visitors to the big legtimate site get served with this infection the moment they visit it, unless they run adblockers or script blockers.

Edited by rp88, 09 September 2015 - 02:57 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:57 PM

P.S. I noticed you comment "Oh where is adblock+ and no script when ya need em", do you mean you can't get firefox working or soemthing?

He cannot get them to work in Microsoft Edge, because the browser doesn't support extensions yet.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:05 PM

Sorry for causing any confusion with that P.S. line. I know they do not work in edge, I thought from the way that dannyboy950 said that that he was unable to get firefox to work, and therefore couldn't get adblock plus and noscript to run. I did already know that edge doesn't take extensions, for that matter noscript doesn't exist for anything other than firefox (adblock plus exists for firefox, chrome and I think IE also). I removed the P.S. line from my post to try and make it less confusing.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Sorry for the confusion Firefox on my vista was what crashed, I argued with their support staff/forum for 3 weeks that some thing was going wrong with their browser.

Then one morning I  opened Firefox and a 1 " sguare opened up for 3 seconds said Firefox is updateing and firefox never worked again on that computer.

Which is why I suggested to have more than one browser installed on a computer.

I long suspected that that computer was hacked and I think the hacker was monitoring me while I was trying to report a possible problem.

I think he/she/it finally decided I will show them I can't corrupt their browser. LOL

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

I think hackers have other things to do than that to be honest. Not every single problems are caused by hackers and malware :)

Many adverts on webapges can be a result of one of two things:

1. the webpage has a lot of adverts on it

On a side note, most websites are ads-powered (since the money they make from it allow the owners of the website to keep it up and running), but some of them simply abuse. Usually, ads that are being caused by Adware will have "Ads by X" on them, where X is the culprit's name (the Adware program). Adsense is legitimate however, since this is the ads service from Google and these ads comes from the websites, not Adware.

Edited by Aura, 09 September 2015 - 04:35 PM.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users