Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening PDF Files

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Artbuc

Artbuc

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

Anyone know when Win 10 Edge will be able to open PDF files? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:18 AM

Artbuc,

Microsoft's Edge is very different by design from IE. Windows 10 ships with both Edge and IE11. IE11 is for backwards compatibility, but lacks the security features built into Edge.

Edge supports native PDF rendering (http://mashable.com/2015/05/11/microsoft-edge-security/). Another significant change (and the one you are experiencing with your support question) is Edge does not support ActiveX or Browser Helper Objects (BHO). Adobe Reader & Acrobat requires ActiveX to work so Edge has problems using Adobe Reader to open PDFs.

Adobe's instructions are to use IE11 to open PDFs. (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html).

It was suggested it is also possible to open PDFs in Edge by specifying Adobe Reader as the Default App in Windows 10. I have not tested this, but if you want to try it and let me know if it works that might help others in the future that have this problem. :) (http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/16350-how-use-adobe-reader-open-pdfs-instead-edge.html)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

packetanalyzer

#3 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:47 AM

Artbuc,

Microsoft's Edge is very different by design from IE. Windows 10 ships with both Edge and IE11. IE11 is for backwards compatibility, but lacks the security features built into Edge.

Edge supports native PDF rendering (http://mashable.com/2015/05/11/microsoft-edge-security/). Another significant change (and the one you are experiencing with your support question) is Edge does not support ActiveX or Browser Helper Objects (BHO). Adobe Reader & Acrobat requires ActiveX to work so Edge has problems using Adobe Reader to open PDFs.

Adobe's instructions are to use IE11 to open PDFs. (https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/display-pdf-in-browser.html).

It was suggested it is also possible to open PDFs in Edge by specifying Adobe Reader as the Default App in Windows 10. I have not tested this, but if you want to try it and let me know if it works that might help others in the future that have this problem. :) (http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/16350-how-use-adobe-reader-open-pdfs-instead-edge.html)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

packetanalyzer

Thanks. I had already read the links you supplied and was using IE 11 to open a PDF monthly banking statement. I thought MS was going to give Edge the capability to use extensions and was wondering if this is true and when it might happen. For kicks & giggles, I'll try making Adobe the default app and let you know what happens.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:18 PM

Artbuc,

Because I am curious, I spun up a Windows 10 virtual machine and used Edge to open a pdf. If you do not have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed, Edge does a nice job of opening the PDF itself.

#5 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:41 PM

Artbuc,

Because I am curious, I spun up a Windows 10 virtual machine and used Edge to open a pdf. If you do not have Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat installed, Edge does a nice job of opening the PDF itself.

I tried making Adobe (instead of Edge) default for pdf and it did not work. Uninstalled/reinstalled Adobe Acrobat DC and it did not help. Maybe my Avast AV is preventing it? Will try that next. 

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

Artbuc,

I tried making Adobe (instead of Edge) default for pdf and it did not work. Uninstalled/reinstalled Adobe Acrobat DC and it did not help. Maybe my Avast AV is preventing it? Will try that next. 

I went back to my Windows 10 VM and installed Adobe Reader DC (I didn't have a copy of Adobe Acrobat DC) and Edge still opens PDFs using its native viewer.

If you go to Avast and click "Disable for 10 minutes" under Avast shields control and then use Edge to open a PDF does it display?

You said you were trying to open a bank statement PDF. Some secure websites do PDF rendering uniquely from normal PDF viewing.

If you Google "filetype:pdf" (without quotes) and open the first PDF in Edge, does it open using the native PDF reader?

#7 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:48 PM

I disabled Avast shields...made no diff. The first PDF opened in Edge but I do not know what you mean by "native" PDF reader? I have Edge set as default.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

Article HERE  is good to explain a bit......

Judging by the comments at the bottom the 'product' is less than impressive.

I simply installed FOXIT READER    

Yes it works in Windows 10.

FAQ's

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

Article HERE  is good to explain a bit......

Judging by the comments at the bottom the 'product' is less than impressive.

I simply installed FOXIT READER    

Yes it works in Windows 10.

FAQ's

Condo, I do not see how this article has anything to do with my inability to open my bank's monthly statement. Every time I try to open it in Edge, I get a message saying "so,etching is preventing this PDF file from opening."

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:13 PM

I get a message saying "so,etching is preventing this PDF file from opening."

It seems unlikely that "so,etching" is the intended quote, if we know the error message accurately it could help a lot diagnosing the problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:57 PM

I get a message saying "so,etching is preventing this PDF file from opening."

It seems unlikely that "so,etching" is the intended quote, if we know the error message accurately it could help a lot diagnosing the problem.

Sorry...I hate typing on an iPad! The message is "Something's keeping this PDF from opening". I dialog box pops-up at the bottom asking if I want to show all secure content. Even when I click Show All, the PDF will not open. The progress icon spins and says the PDF is opening but it never does. Have been doing some research and apparently this is a common problem and the answer seems to be just open it with IE 11 and move on to something else. Thanks to all for your responses.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Ah yes, a message as vague as that doesn't really help does it? Sometimes just finding a workaround is the simplest.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hello again Artbuc,

i do apologize for not explaining further.

My rationale was this:

Edge is having problems opening a pdf. That means that either edge itself or the 'native' pdf opener is the culprit here. I would take an educated punt and say it is more likely the native pdf app .....I am not positive of that fact as I do not use edge myself. I am  firefox user. Its native pdf opener works like a dream.

After my own experiences with that app,and having read the comments in the link, and many more scattered all over the net....I decided to recommend installing something that I know is secure and works.

Hence, the Foxit Reader link.

As for reverting to Internet Explorer.....one of the main reasons that edge came to be was because of the Security problems etc etc surrounding IE...as packetanalyzer put it " IE11 is for backwards compatibility, but lacks the security features built into Edge".

So i elected to give you advice which would ::

1. Actually do what it is supposed to do with no fuss or drama

2. Be a secure method for you to use in the opening of your future bank statements etc etc

I suppose I could always leave you a link to FIREFOX......and that would just be the icing on the cake ! (the download link is on the right hand side of the page...towards the top)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#14 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:28 PM

Try temporarily disabling Edge's SmartScreen Filter.

4RkSQ8x.png

#15 Artbuc

Artbuc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:31 AM

Try temporarily disabling Edge's SmartScreen Filter.

4RkSQ8x.png

Same result.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users