Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading my pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KanSama

KanSama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hello,

I need some help with upgrading my pc, its getting kind of old for all the new games coming out.

I dont really understand how the whole upgrading works so if anyone can help me that will be great.

My current pc:

Intel core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00ghz

Ram: 4 GB

AMD Radeon HD 6450

And im using windows 10.

what can i change that wont cost like buying a new computer but can can give the extra power to run new stuff?

Thanks,

~Kan~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:42 AM

Things you can do that won't cost as much as a new computer (depending on what you buy and what kind of computer you would have bought ;) ):

• Upgrade your hard drive from a HDD to an SSD
  • Upgrade to 8GB (or more) of RAM (this applies only if you are running a 64 bit OS)
  • Upgrade your video card (The AMD Radeon HD 6450 is built for everyday computing not high FPS gaming)

If you have a 32-bit version of Windows 10 and want the 64-bit version of Windows 10, there is a Microsoft article about upgrading to the 64-bit version at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-switch-from-32-bit-versions-of-windows-to/40d90c4e-8845-4bcb-bb2f-aeab312caf74.

If you upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit you will LOSE your personal files and need to reinstall software applications and hardware drivers. If you chose to upgrade to a 64 bit OS, please follow Microsoft's instructions. Do so at your own risk.

Let me know if you have any questions.

packetanalyzer

#3 KanSama

KanSama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

First thing, thanks for replaying.

Second, i wanted to ask a few things.

When i upgrade, lets say i get more RAM, is this something i can do by myself or do i need someone who knows how to do so?

And well i know my video card wasnt the best but it tried so hard to run all the games i played and i did a decent job, but ill have to replace it so do you have any suggestions about what card i should get?

Also im already at 64 bit so im fine there.

And final thing, does upgrading the hard drive from the HDD to an SSD really make a difference? I know its faster and all but it has less space and its more expensive.

Thank you again,

~Kan~ 

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

KanSama,

You're welcome. I hope my answers are helpful.

When i upgrade, lets say i get more RAM, is this something i can do by myself or do i need someone who knows how to do so?

When you upgrade the RAM whoever does it will need to know how to take your computer apart and how to install RAM. It isn't difficult in my opinion but if you don't know how to take apart or put your computer back together correctly, you are not going to be happy. :)

And well i know my video card wasnt the best but it tried so hard to run all the games i played and i did a decent job, but ill have to replace it so do you have any suggestions about what card i should get?

I don't play many PC games myself so others here can provide better recommendations, but things to keep in mind when you are buying a video card can be found in this article http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404517,00.asp and reviews by PCMAG on a few video cards are available at http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/graphic-cards.

And final thing, does upgrading the hard drive from the HDD to an SSD really make a difference? I know its faster and all but it has less space and its more expensive.

Yes it really makes a difference. I regularly use both traditional HDDs and SSDs. I always prefer running things on SSDs.

You can read some interesting benchmarks on http://www.pcworld.com/article/2048120/benchmarks-dont-lie-ssd-upgrades-deliver-huge-performance-gains.html.

#5 KanSama

KanSama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

Thanks again for your help.

From what i can see ill most likely need to find someone who can upgrade my pc because i have a feeling ill ruin something if i try to do it.

And about the video card it seems ill also have to find someone who knows this in depth, too many things can go wrong, like it not fitting or too much power usage.

And it seems the HDD to SSD is pretty important so ill check that too.

Thanks,

~Kan~

#6 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:38 AM

As for if it will fit and power requirements, the specifications page of your current graphics card will give that information to you.

Your current GPU is PCI Express 2.1 x16 and requires a 400 or 500 Watt power supply. (http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/6000/6450#).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

packetanalyzer

#7 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:41 AM

I can help with GPU selection!

1. What games do you play and at what resolution?

2. What powersupply do you have? Is it even branded?

#8 KanSama

KanSama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:06 AM

Well i mostly play games of the elder scrolls or fallout, cant play too many games because i cant run most of them. My biggest worry is not being able to play Fallout 4, because i dont think my pc can handle it.

And i have no idea whats my power supply, probably something standard. 

#9 IWant2Help

IWant2Help

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:45 AM

Well i mostly play games of the elder scrolls or fallout, cant play too many games because i cant run most of them. My biggest worry is not being able to play Fallout 4, because i dont think my pc can handle it.

And i have no idea whats my power supply, probably something standard. 

If you dont know which powersupply you have its probably not that good. Can recommend EVGA Supernova 550w G2. 

For graphics card i would go with a R9 380. You will be able to play alot of games on High/Ultra.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users