Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why is windows 8.1 upgrade not applicable

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SlimJimmy196811

SlimJimmy196811

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:16 AM

I tried to upgrade to 8.1 but cant. get message not applicable

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:36 AM

Which version of windows currently you are running. If you are currently running windows 8.1 then check for updates in setting. Here you can find if update is available for you. why not try to upgrade windows 10 its more interesting 

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:23 AM

Here you can find if update is available for you. why not try to upgrade windows 10 its more interesting

You can't upgrade to Windows 10 without upgrading to Windows 8.1 first.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:48 PM

I assume you currently have windows 8.0. Your problem might be that you need certain updates to be installed before upgrade from 8 to 8.1 is possible. If you post a list of any updates which are being offered to you that you haven't installed, and a list of any updates you have hidden, then I can tell you if there are any which you would need to install before upgrading from 8 to 8.1 is possible.

If it isn't a matter of you not having particular updates then it could be a matter of the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrader noticing that your hardware would not be compatible with 8.1 (some hardware is compatible with 8 but not 8.1), if you post your system type (you could use speccy to get the information) someone might recognise if your system is of a type which cannot run windows 8.1.

Note that during the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 many updates will be installed, some of them (KB3035583 and KB3044374 and a few others) will need removing after the upgrading is done unless you want to subsequently switch from windows 8.1 to 10.

Also note that the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 will make any system iamges made when you had windows 8.0 unable to work, it might also make manufacturers recvery media from when you had windows 8 unable to work. You need to make new system images on external discs the moment you have upgraded, before you do anything else at all. After upgrading: don't make any changes (leave the uninstallation of any unwanted updates, if there are any you wish to remove, until after the image is made), don't install or uninstall any programs, don't even browse the web until that image is made. Then with that image made you can deal with getting your settings as you like them, deal with any installations and uninstallations of programs and updates, then make a second image and then you'll be ready to start using windows 8.1 as you previously used windows 8.

As further advice: If you already have system images now (as a windows 8 user) you might want to first restore to an image, then deal with upgrading to 8.1. This way you can ensure your system is n a well-workign and uninfected state before you begin the upgrade. Restoring from an image like this is what I did before I upgraded a windows 8 system to 8.1, doing so meant the system was in a "cleaner" state and therefore was able to upgrade to 8.1 more smoothly than if I had upgraded from my system as it was before restoring to the image. Note that restoring to an image will erase any changes made since the image was made, so backup all your files first and keep copies of the installer exe files for your programs (or note down there you got the programs from so you can install them again after upgrading).

Edited by rp88, 09 September 2015 - 03:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Let's get some information so we know what we are dealing with.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Edited by dc3, 09 September 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users