Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte GA - EX58 - UD3R.......ram slots...??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 01:43 AM

Gigabyte GA  - EX58 - UD3R       VRD111 Support 3Channel DDR3

talking to a not so sure ram swapper here

(Ram currently installed is : 4GB 1600mhz Kingston hyper x blu)

There are 4 slots ...numbered 1, 3, 2, 4.   (in that order)

Numbers 1, 2, & 4 are light grey in color

Slots 4 and  2....have a 2gb ram stick in each of them.....(4gb total ram )

Slot Number 3 is blue in color

can the blue slot accept a ram stick ??

( i am looking on ebay and there are two sticks available .....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kingston-HyperX-Fury-Blue-8GB-2x4GB-DDR3-1600MHz-Desktop-PC-Gaming-Memory-RAM/221852611567?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3D380c782f2b734afa9f17140ea2e1f47a%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321832237524

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:25 AM

All four slots can be used, limiting factor is you OS is it 32 or 64 bit?  32 bit can only use 4g 64 bit can use the max for the board.  They must be used in pairs and should be matching,slots 1&3 and 2&4 are pairs.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the reply OldPhil,

The OS is 64 bit.

Slots 2 & 4 currently each have a 2gb stick in them....

I am going to buy two 4gb ...sticks which will occupy slots 1 & 3

Does this satisfy the matching / pairs requirement ?

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:11 AM

The manual doesn't have vast amounts of detail, but the configurations are on page 16:

http://download1.gigabyte.asia/Files/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud3r_e.pdf

Your existing DIMMs may not be fitted ideally. They say:

"When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_4 or DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 sockets."

You may fit memory in all slots but multi-channel modes will generally work best with identical DIMMs. Your board supports triple channel operation so is not as simple as the dual channel OldPhil has referred to.

Edited by Platypus, 09 September 2015 - 04:13 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

Is this pertinent...?

When memory modules of different capacity and chips are installed, a message which
says memory is operating in Flex Memory Mode will appear during the POST. Intel Flex
Memory Technology offers greater flexibility to upgrade by allowing different memory sizes

to be populated and remain in Dual/3 Channel mode/performance

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:40 AM

I think if you run the new chips in 1&3 and the old in 3&4 it should be fine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:57 AM

Is this pertinent...?

Yes, if a mixture is fitted which doesn't fall exactly into an identical capacity in each channel, the controllers if possible will run the greatest proportion of memory in the fastest mode, and a remnant in a slower mode. The best overall combination for that board would be 3 identical 4GB DIMMs in slots 1, 2 & 4. This would run all 12GB in triple channel mode.

Slots 1 & 4 each have their own controller - slot 2 & 3 share a controller, so if both are populated, both slots cannot be addressed at the same time. So Flex Memory Mode would try to use what is fitted in slots 1, 2 & 4 in triple channel mode, and if slot 3 (the last one that should be filled) has memory it would be run in single channel mode. However if one of the DIMMs not in slot 3 is only 2GB, Flex Mode may only be able to run 6GB in the fastest 3 channel mode.

Edited by Platypus, 09 September 2015 - 05:01 AM.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

ok....I have just found THIS    on ebay....finishing tonight........

Which will give me (quote) The best overall combination for that board would be 3 identical 4GB DIMMs in slots 1, 2 & 4. This would all run in triple channel mode.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

Looks promising, only 1 bid so far...

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

Here's hoping they have made the bid and gone to bed....trusting to luck!

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:55 AM

Was n***n you? :)

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

That was me .....Mission accomplished !

Thanks for your knowledge and help mate.

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

RAM arrived today.

PC to the workshop for a dust and clean

Removed the old stuff, and marked where it came from , (just in case murphy was around....)

Put the three x 4GB sticks in......Slots 1, 2, & 4

Ta Da !!

Success.

Went to control panel / System.......Installed memory (Ram)....12.0 GB

Platypus.....Thank you.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2015 - 02:33 AM

That's great news! Glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users