Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 8.1 updates ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

Hello , 

what happened to the  "windows updates to avoid thread" ?  Today 13 new  "important" updates offered

I'd would love to know whats safe what isnt.. When tried to look up info @ MS  found the following notice

"Important All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates. "

Would love some info regarding this , thanks in advance :)

List of updates

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3087038)

Download size: 52.9 MB

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB3074545)

Download size: 594 KB

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 x64-based Systems (KB3074228)

Download size: 760 KB

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 on Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 x64-based Systems (KB3074548)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3069114)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3082089)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3083992)

Download size: 217 KB

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3084135)

Download size: 803 KB

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3086255)

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3087039)

Download size: 2.3 MB

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3077715)

Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3083325)

Download size: 3.5 MB

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - September 2015 (KB890830)

Download size: 45.2 MB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:29 PM

If you want to check for information about updates to avoid then I generally list any I notice in my "Windows updates monitoring thread". I have posted some stuff there today about some of the updates you mention. As a quick general rule though, if you accept all the security updates "Security Update for ...", make a careful decision about the "important" non-security updates ("Update for ...")by looking at their "more information" links avoiding those with very vague descriptions or descriptions which talk of "new features" and "upgrade", ignore the "recommended" and "optional" updates unless any stand out as something which could be useful to you.

The list of "updates to avoid" is getting quite long, most of them are mentioned in my monitoring thread as "sounding like they might be unpleasant" but the thread is arranged in chronological order of when updates were released, so you would have to hunt through loads of posts and note down various names to comiple an "avoid list". Also there are different "levels" of how much you might want to avoid certain updates, there are some which are known to do things you might not want (KB3035583, KB3013816 and KB3044374 are exmaples), others which sound vague enough to be considered as things you might not want and others still which you might not want because they help with the actions of updates known to do potentially annoying things. Easier, in some ways than going through a blacklist of updates to avoid is knowing the procedure which you can use for yourself to decide which updates to have and which to avoid, this is discussed in a post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/584078/windows-10-automatic-updates-start-causing-problems/page-5#entry3781040 .

As further advice if you see any of the following phrases in the description of one of the non-security update's it is likely, but not absolutely certain, to be one you might not want: "prepares windows for upgrade", "telemetry", "benfits of a later version of windows", "new features", "customer experience improvement program", "CEIP", "latest version of windows", "new features", "additonal features", "benefit form features included in a alter windows version" and "enable upgrade". Although there will sometimes be updates which talk of "new features" which might add features you do want, so make sure to read the whole description, not just look for key phrases.

Just make sure to have your updates set up so they don't download or install without your permission, and make sure to check regularly (each tuesday evening wednesday morning) to see what updates have been released, that way you can make sure to get the security ones and be able to see the choice of others as soon as possible to give yourself plenty of time to decide which of those others you do and don't want.

As for KB2919355, this is the so called "Update 1" for windows 8.1, I am surprised it is not already on your machine. More recent updates cannot install without it present. When I installed it I found it to be a harmelss update, however some people's machines had problems with it. If you don't yet have this update yet, and are concerned it might cause problems, then make a system image before attempting to install it, it should go fine but atleast if it doesn't you'll be able to revert to the image. Having such an image made is also helpful incase of other computer problems, if you make a system image as soon as possible you will have a means of restoring the computer to an earlier working state if anythign ever goes wrong.

Edited by rp88, 09 September 2015 - 03:29 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:41 PM

Hello & many thanks for the detailed response :) 

Lately I feel updates have become a bit of a minefield , trying to dodge Microsofts hidden "gems"

I've checked already installed updates and I do have the  KB2919355 , so all is good.

Cheers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users