Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Facebook Notifications On Desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evolution_rex

evolution_rex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

(Using Windows 8, have Google Chrome, currently using Avast) For a couple days now my facebook notifications have been popping up on my desktop. It visibly looks like it could be Google Chrome, which I have, as the 'x' symbol to exit out of the notifications resembles the symbols on google chrome tabs. I had looked it up and thought it was something to do with Chrome and so I went to my setting and clicked 'do not show notifications from any site' in the privacy section under notification. For the rest of the day I hadn't noticed it popping up, but then my computer needed to update, so I updated it, and then it started happening again despite it showing that the notifications are off. So it led me to believe that it's some sort of virus.

The links the notifications send me seem to be the actual facebook site, but the mobile version. The link itself looks normal as well. I've had no suspicious advertisements so I don't think it's adware. My computer has been going particularly slow and a lot of small stuff has been happening lately and I'm concerned that I have spyware.

I will try to update this post with screenshots of them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

I say, let's get a deeper look. Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users