Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP CMOS battery replacement- clock setting heads up!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

I went to a client's home today to replace the CMOS battery in her old Dell XP machine. Should have been a 15 minute job tops. When i rebooted the computer all was fine,but could not get online. I looked at the clock(lower right hand corner) because everytime I opened the browser(any Browser) I got an error message saying to set the clock. Well-I did,I thought. Reset the BIOS to default,and still no internet connection.

After about 30 minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong,I looked at the clock again-and it was set to the wrong year. Reset the clock and BANG! everything worked perfectly! I know it's been a while since I worked on an XP machine- but I don't ever remember that happening or why?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

Large time discrepancies can flag things like security issues, so it's probably going to be down to something like this rather than anything in XP itself.

For example if you have an internet security suite that does look-ahead to destination websites, all the security certificates can seem to be invalid if the system date is way off.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:17 PM

That's good to know- if i ever run into that issue again,that will be the first place I look- I think I was more surprised that the client was using XP.She said that her Court Reporting software would not work with any other OS later than XP,which I found a little hard to believe- anyway-i got it fixed!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

The funniest - from a spectator's point of view - incident of this I had was my sister-in-law's old computer running XP. She too was getting error messages in Firefox about 'Invalid certificates' and refusing to connect. What threw me was the time showing was spot on. So some considerable time later I actually clicked on the time display to see the full display. The time day and month turned out to be correct, just the year was out by ten years.

One CMOS battery later . . .

Chris Cosgrove

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

That's funny! When i was first studying for my A+ certification the instructors always said,"Look for the easiest thing first",i.e. the power cord,cable plugged in,etc.Sometimes we are looking for a big problem when the solution is right in front of us. :killcomp:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:19 AM

Well...the clock reflected on the taskbar...just gets the time from the BIOS clock, which is the one that counts and this is the one that should be checked when any time/date anomalies are suspected.

Louis

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

You are of course completely correct Hamluis, but as my long late Auntie May used to put it when i was growing up -

"Experience is better bought than taught !"

Frequently accompanied by a clip round the ears to assist the memory process.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:52 AM

No Post-

Edited by paul88ks, 13 September 2015 - 03:22 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,820 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:09 PM

One of the most basic theories of life...is that it's better to teach HOW and WHY...than to do it for someone.  That way, there is knowledge being passed on, rather than a total lack of a learning experience.

Sorry if that is NOT what you want...but it's likely that you will run into a scenario where there won't be anyone standing by...to do it FOR you...and if you are unable to even begin to do it for yourself...well, I'd say that's not a situation that will be benerficial for you.

In any case...since the forum is worldwide and there may be some members/visitors reading your post...either now or in the future...perhaps it will benefit them, if not you, to know the why/how of some things that may be explained in the forums.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users