Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No mouse, icons, or notification area on restart, PLEASE help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csice

csice

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

I have never run into anything like this and I am VERY worried about it. I have Windows 10. Last night I went to bed and when I awoke, my desktop was this way and continues to be this way even after restart. I get my desktop background and taskbar/start button, but no icons, no mouse, and no notification area/clock. Hitting the windows key does nothing. The search even looks different, just the magnifying glass, no extra space to type stuff in as it normally does(not that I could). I can't seem to get into safe mode to see if that works, and hitting ctrl + alt + del brings me to a black screen. It's almost like it isn't loading anything, because it restarts almost instantly and doesn't really make any loading sounds. If I go to the bios, it is normal and I actually have a mouse. 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I have no idea what could have prompted this to happen as it was fine before I went to bed. Thanks so much to anyone trying to help out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

First off, what operating system are you using?

Do you have recovery disks/recovery media/recovery partition?

Have you tried any hardware diagnostics?

Can you do anything with the system?  Can you generate these reports: 

1)  Please provide this information (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 csice

csice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

I have Windows 10. I have no mouse, so I can't really navigate to download anything. I also don't believe I can bring up run, but I will let you know if I find out otherwise.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

Have you tried forced rebooting 3 times and see if the Automatic Repair thing comes up?

Do you have W10 installation media that you can boot from to force the Automatic Repair to kick in?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 csice

csice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

So I have my monitor connected through DVI, but I also have and hdmi out going to a tv; it seems that whenever the tv is turned off, I get this problem with the display. Not sure what this is all about or how to fix it, apparently all of my graphics drivers are up to date.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Way, way outta my league.  I can barely handle one monitor at a time.

I'd suggest posting over in the hardware forums for more expert assistance:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/137/hardware/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users