Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going from Windows 8 to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn Gilbert

Glenn Gilbert

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:58 PM

Hi all, 

I purchased my wife an all-in-one Lenovo around 8 months ago and last week we got a message to upgrade free to Windows 10. I was wondering if I do this will I lose any programs, like Microsoft Office, or anything else if I convert over to Windows 10. Also, how much better is Windows 10 to Windows 8. I am using XP on my work computer and when I use my wife's computer it is a real pain!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Glenn :)

To answer your first question: no, you won't lose any programs or files if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10. You have the option to keep all of them (or none of them) when you upgrade. However, it's recommended to back-up all your personal files to another storage media, should anything happen during the upgrade and your files becomes inaccessible.

As for your second question, Windows 10 look and feel is closer to Windows 8.1 than Windows XP (obviously). It'll be easier to use for you since the Start Menu have been added back, so you'll feel a bit less loss because of that. If the Start Menu feel and look doesn't suit you, there's always a possibility to install Classic Shell and customize it so it looks like the Windows XP Start Menu. As for the rest, if you use Windows 8/8.1 regulary, you'll be able to navigate in Windows 10 as well. If you don't want to get loss, keep on using the Control Panel instead of the new Settings menu.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:14 PM

I would suggest reading the discussion thread

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/236/windows-10-discussion/

Most of the programs will roll over to 10 without any problem

As far as office goes, they let you try it out for free

I dont use office, but everything I do use rolled over fine :warrior:

#4 gftd

gftd

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:31 AM

Windows upgrade many functions based on the previous editions. You can upgrade to Windows 10, but you have to know that after one year, Windows 10 will be paid. As for the old system and programs, you should make a backup image or clone it so that if there is something wrong, you can use the backup image to restore to the original state. No matter what the OS you  use, please remember to backup system in case of system crashes. Once you upgraded you  to Windows 10, please backup Windows 10 system to avoid data lose in advance.

#5 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:13 AM

gftd is mistaken. Microsoft is offering free upgrades until July, and those upgrades are free to keep for the life of the device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users