Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW PC HELP!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ddavewoodss

ddavewoodss

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

I'm looking for a new computer and I need some help.

I am going to be using this Pc for mostly internet browsing and watching YouTube videos but I will also be playing two games. (Football Manager and Minecraft) Which aren't fast paced HD demanding games if you know that I mean.

I want to be able to steam/play 1080p HD quality videos well on YouTube while being able to play the two games and have the computer run them well.

My budget is about $450. (Or 400 or £300).

I have a rough guide of what I want:
4Gb or higher RAM
1000gb Hard Drive storage
Intel processor with at least 3.0GHz
Windows 7 or higher
Be able to run the two games well

Please recommend my already built PCs. Or would it be better for my money to buy it part by part? If so which parts?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

Well, a lot of people that have been builders forever will buy off the shelf just b/c it's so cheap nowadays but $450 is a pretty thin budget. I take it from your pound reference you may be in the UK (while it still exists).

Luckily I'm familiar w/ those constraints. One way to attack the problem is a barebones, then find a card, etc. I would always buy new ram and the best PSU I could. I presume you are wanting everything new. If so that's a shame b/c some gently used parts can be had vy cheap. For instance cpu's are very hardy if you vet the orig owner: no overclocking, typical email and videos use. On local sites like C___list you can find new and used parts, some even in factory wrapping. Bought the wrong part, whatever. With used parts, sometimes people think their ____ is worth more than a similar new part from online retailers. Sites like P_#artspicker can show compatible items but I don't always trust the lowest prices listed. Same w/Pr&ce*atch.

Hope I'm not crossing any BC guidelines re: listing websites. BC's one of the most helpful t-shoot sites, always kind w/noobs like me : )  If in the US too bad you just missed Labor Day specials. Some sites will have combo deals w/will help but you obviously want to buy everything at once to build and test right away in case you need to RMA anything.

New intel I'd say an i3 for around $110, $45 for basic mobo and 40-45 for 4 GB DDR3 ram (stick w/1600 for games), same for hard drive.You could find a decent PSU for $40, even under but I'd be careful of 'deals' as you want a quality manufacturer and PSU's get a little complicated. I think an 80 plus bronze Corsair could be had for as low as $25-30 but I'm not sure what card you're looking to run. If Football Manager is anything like Minecraft you don't need anything great. Let's say a Corsair CX430 @$30 incl s/h from the egg. You could pair all this w/a radeon HD 6450 for minecraft for like $30 but really, you should throw more at a card.

You can get an inexpensive but perfectly functional case for $35 shipped. If you picked up a Windows 7 disc, new, online like at fleaBay for $65-70, negating a few bucks for fans and excluding peripherals, that would come to 350 leaving $50 for the card.

For just a little more you could find a Radeon R7 240 but you could spend less and make your budget. Sorry if I don't throw out exact products. It should be easy to match ram & the rest. With ram you can look for lower timings, best to buy a 2 stick 'kit'. Some brands I like are Gskill, Gigabyte, EVGA, XFX.

Hope that helps. I know others can give you a "here's exactly what I'd buy today" list but I have to run. Building is pretty simple at this level, lots of guides, don't sweat it. Good luck.

Mac

#3 ddavewoodss

ddavewoodss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

Thanks Man

#4 ddavewoodss

ddavewoodss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:56 AM

Also, based on the stuff I wanted in my first post, how does this PC look? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014FDWZQE/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_2?colid=333FP51B11Q7O&coliid=I30LOMBZHYVLIV&vs=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users