Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about putting an old hard drive into a new hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Alright so I'm planning on adding an old hard drive to a new computer.  The thing is that this hard drive has windows along with many other stuff (pretty much this is my old primary hard drive).  If I attach it into the secondary hard dive, will it cause issues?  If so, how can I prevent these issues without deleting stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

Adding an additional hard drive alongside the original will not cause any issues, normally. What is you want to do exactly? Are you trying to upgrade your current drive? Adding another for more storage space? Let us know and we can better advise you.

#3 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

I want to add an old hard drive (which is my old computer's primary hard drive not formatted) and make it into a secondary hard drive for more space.  The old hard drive has windows/anti viruses and other stuff.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

So you want to take the hard drive from your old previous computer and place it in your new computer, for secondary storage?

If so, that is rather easy. Just physically install and reformat it with Windows. It gets a little more complicated if you need to copy files from it you want to keep. It looks like you want to backup files from it. In that case, physically install it and it should appear in My Computer when you boot the computer. From there you can copy your stuff over to your current hard drive.

You don't have to reformat it either. You can always just delete unnecessary files such as the Windows folder.

Let me know before you do anything so we don't delete anything important!

Edited by Gorbulan, 08 September 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'm just a tad curious...how can a hard be both unformatted...and reflect viruses which you state exist?  If the drive is not formatted...just where are these viruses taking up residence?

I would never suggesting moving files from a known infected hard drive...to another system...with the idea of possibly backing up fles possibly reflecting malware.

I would suggest that you post in the BC General Security forum before installing a "known/suspected infected drive" or moving any files from it to known-good system.

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hamluis has a good point; if you already have a bootable Windows install on that old drive but only want to use it for storage, that is a great idea but you want to first make very sure that it is totally clean of viruses; transfering files from one drive to the other can infect both of them. 

I assume that your new computer came with an OEM version of Windows pre-intalled on it, so you will have to choose which drive is going to be the main boot drive in the BIOS.

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 September 2015 - 05:53 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

I believe CalusBlade is saying the old hard drive carries his previous Windows installation along with other software such as anti-virus.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:27 PM

I believe CalusBlade is saying the old hard drive carries his previous Windows installation along with other software such as anti-virus.

I believe this is correct as well.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:28 PM

Well, I guess we will have to wait until the OP clarifies.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users