Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot see all user accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adrianzen

adrianzen

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:29 PM

Hello:

I am trying to access and manage all the user accounts and administrator accounts in a workgroup network of 20 computers running XP Pro.

I have tried Control Panel > User Accounts.

I have also tried "control.exe useraccounts2" at the command line (it just accepts the command and nothing happens)

I would like to set up all computers with an Administrator Account and a Guest Account.

On one computer I log in as Administrator with the password but I still cannot change other accounts.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

AFAIK...networking does not allow any network member access to other user accounts on a different system.  IMO, the reasons for this should be clear to all.

I can't speak about the possibilities inherent in a network where Windows Server is involved...you might visit the Windows NT forum here at BC regarding how it might allow control of user accounts/accesses.

The command which you attempted to use...appears to apply to the user accounts on one given system, http://nerdyloft.com/2006/10/23/hidden-user-accounts-control-in-windows-xp/ , not various accounts on various systems.

Louis

#3 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

Louis, there is no server, just 20 computers connected to a router.  I thought that is what a workgroup means. I have to go from system to system to make changes and each system is set up differently in terms of having/not having a guest account or an administrator account or other hidden accounts.  I tried the DOS command on one machine and it did not appear to do anything.

Anyway, I am still at a loss on how to set up these computers with an administrator account and a guest account.

Thanks for the link; I will check it out.

#4 adrianzen

adrianzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

Louis: the link you provided basically says to try the command 'control.exe useraccounts2' at the command line, which I already tried on one system and it did not work.  I will try it on other systems. Please let me know if you know of any other ways to list and manage all the accounts on a given system.

Best,

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:15 PM

I'm not understanding....I already stated that you cannot manage in any way...a Windows install on another system.\

In fact, you cannot manage any Windows functions on a different system.

The workgroup merely provides access to data files which have been designated as shared...and it allows one user to see (not change necessarily or operate all system files on another system.   Each system, each install maintains its own integrity, except to the extent that it allows other members of the workgroup access/privileges regarding certain files.

You keep using the word "manage" but exactly what is it that you want to do?  Any user on a system can see the User accounts for that system.  To see the details for any system in a workgroup...you have to be given that privilege...and not all O/S privileges/rights can be shared.

I, obviously, do not understand what it is that you are trying to do or what your goal is.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users