Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vpn server with Softether problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stektograph

stektograph

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hello together

I'm a beginner in network things and get to a problem which I can't solve.

In my home network, I have a server. To reach this server from the internet I thought it's best to create a VPN connection due to security reasons. The VPN server should run all the time, so I used a Raspberry PI. First attempts to use OpenVPN didn't work at all, even though I still don't see. But never mind.

Then I tried softEther and that did work. With my mobile phone I can establish a L2TP-/IPSec-VPN connection to my Raspberry Pi. I can also reach the internet with this VPN connection.

The problem is now, I can't reach my server and the other PC in my local network.

I read through a lot of stuff in the Internet. A local bridge seems to be the right thing that I need. Is that right? Some say SecureNAT does also solve the problem. But that I don't understand, why and how.

Does someone have an Idea what the solution to my problem is?

192.168.1.20                  |------------------------------|

PC    -------------------|                                    |

|   modem                     |    

192.168.1.70 (static)      |                                    |                        my mobile phone

server -----------------|  DHCP                        |                                      |

|                                    |------  -Internet    ---------|                

192.168.1.71  (static)     |                                    |                    

raspberry-pi ----------|  Port passthrough to  |                             

softether vpn server        |  Raspberry pi             |               

|                                   |                     

|                                   |                     

|-----------------------------|

Thanks for any comment 

Greetings Stetkograph

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

First thing is understanding vpns.  OpenVPN is an internet filtering service.  It does not create a vpn tunnel between your devices.

"The problem is now, I can't reach my server and the other PC in my local network."

This is how a vpn is supposed to work.  If you also want local access the vpn server has to be configured to allow that or you need to do split tunnel vpn though that relates to outbound not inbound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_tunneling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users