Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to find and replace or change old router password

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

The answer to this question may be obvious. I am trying to remotely assist a relative who has an old Acer laptop. This worked fine for internet use until she moved house and was faced with having to change the old wifi password on her laptop to the one on her new dsl wifi router. At present she is relying on connecting to the internet by using the yellow ethernet cable which limits her movement within the house. What is the simplest way for her to find the old password on her laptop and change it to agree with what is stored on the new router? At this point I am not sure how much she will have to change, whether the Router Name (SSID) will be enough or whether she will also have to change the Wireless Network Key (Password) She is not confident in any of this, and at this distance neither am I. I believe she may be using XP but not sure.
I would much appreciate any guidance.
Many thanks (one year older, still learning)
Silver Threads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:55 AM

"What is the simplest way for her to find the old password on her laptop and change it to agree with what is stored on the new router?"

Does this mean that when she logs on to her computer she types in a password?

--- And you want that password to be the same password as the new router?

Personally I would advise against using the same password in both places but I need to make sure I understand the request correctly

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:02 AM

It is a standard procedure to logon to wifi. This does assume someone setup the wireless on the new router. 

It does require that you know the following;

1. what the SSID is

2. what the wifi password is

You would get both from person who setup her new dsl wifi router.

She would then double click on her wifi icon to see a list of available wireless connections

She would then click on the SSID for her dsl router.

Next she will be presented with a screen asking for the wifi password which she would enter.

If all is done correctly she will be connected to internet

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Good explanation Wand3r3r

silverthreads when your friend connects via wi-fi there should be a link to connect automatically so internet access always connects automatically

But it seems to me that you want 2 passwords to match: one for new router and one for her computer account when she logs on

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Not only would having the wifi password and logon password the same be a huge security risk [hacker hacks wifi they now have easy access to your pc] but since the logon password and wifi password are unrelated to each other there is no point/help with making them the same.

To be very clear these three passwords should not be the same:

password for logging on the pc

password for logging on to the router to configure it

password for wifi authencation

#6 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

I don't think I expressed myself very clearly. The old Acer laptop was passed down to its present user who is terrified of the thing. It was previously used by her sister for some years and connected wirelessly to a router in her then home. Both have since moved to a different property but the old Acer with the old password will only connect to the internet by means of the Ethernet cable. The previous owner of the old Acer has bought a new laptop which is connected wirelessly to the new router in the new house with its own network name and password. Neither of these sisters know how to access the password or SSID on the old Acer so that these can be changed to allow the old Acer to work wirelessly without the need to use the Ethernet cable. I had hoped it would be a fairly simple matter of accessing the now out-of-date info on the old laptop, deleting it and replacing it with the current password on the new router. Is there a straightforward way of doing this? As a guest user of their wifi I have been given the password and I have no problem connecting, just wonder why the old laptop won't work and assume the old info is blocking this.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

Thank you for the clarification

The previous owner of the old Acer has bought a new laptop, which does connect wirelessly to the new router in the new house with its own network name and password.

On the old Acer laptop what operating system is it?

--- We need to know in order to direct you how to access the Network & Sharing Center

Do you know both the network name and password that is being used on the new laptop?

The new laptop most likely has the modern Network & Sharing Center

The old Acer laptop probably has an older method to acquire what you need to do

#8 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:53 AM

Thank you for your response. I am not sure what O.S was in use on the old Acer, am guessing it might have been XP due to the length of time it was in use. However I will enquire and hope to get an answer that makes sense! The laptop is only being used for letter writing and as such is fine, but wifi would make for more practical use and updating it to allow it to speak to the new router is my hope.
Thank you again. I will txt them and ask for that info and get back to you asap.
Regards
Silver Threads

#9 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:17 AM

Should have said that I know the SSID and network password for the new router which the old Acer needs to connect to.
Thsnks again

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:10 AM

Then simply follow the instructions previously given:

She would then double click on her wifi icon [know where to see this?] to see a list of available wireless connections

She would then click on the SSID for her dsl router.

Next she will be presented with a screen asking for the wifi password which she would enter.

If all is done correctly she will be connected to internet

#11 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thank you for that extra bit of help. I have now established that the old Acer had Vista Basic installed, and obviously still has. Does she not have to delete the old router info first and then key in the necessary information for the new router? Or will your instructions overwrite the old router password and SSID? It is a while since I set up our home router so am a bit hazy on the details.
Many thanks
Silver Threads

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:34 PM

Follow Wand3r3r's instructions. Don't forget to check connect automatically so it isn't necessary to repeat the instructions each time

#13 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:56 AM

Many thanks to all for much appreciated help. Now all I have to do is pass on the guidance and hope it is acted upon.
Thank you
Silver Threads

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

I just thought of something no one else has mentioned.

See if there is any software for the OLD router installed on the computer. If there was a CD supplied with the OLD router, the previous owner of the computer could have used that to set up her network.

If there is, uninstall it.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

. What is the simplest way for her to find the old password on her laptop and change it to agree with what is stored on the new router?

With regard to the old password (pre-shared key), it is located or stored on wireless profiles. The old passwords are viewable by properties however, any new SSID of any access point would not conflict with the previously made connections as they can be removed or retained given they are going between with the previous network locations.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users