Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux USB drive won't boot on Sager NP8258

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:02 AM

Well now its my turn to see what the Linux community of Bleeping Computer can do to help solve this problem!

As the title states, I am trying to boot from a USB flash drive on my new Sager NP8258 laptop. I have had absolutely zero luck on getting the thing to boot off the flash drive. I had decided to buy it without a disc drive (who needs one anymore) to give me more HDD storage space. Fortunately I have a couple old laptops so I was able to get things installed with a CD/DVD drive from an old Toshiba... Its just annoying to have to take out the storage bay and pop in the CD/DVD drive when I want to install Linux.

Okay so, I have done the following things (hopefully I remembered them all).

Secure boot is off.

Disabled UEFI boot, though I have tried booting with UEFI on and from inside windows (hold shift and restart the machine brings you to the menu option to do so), this does nothing as well.

Brought up the boot option menu at bios start by hitting "F7", chose my USB drive... boots directly into the Linux OS I have installed at the moment.

Created the Linux boot drive with Unetbootin, pendrive, Ubuntu USB installer... maybe another one that I can't remember right now.

Formatted it to FAT32.

Deleted the U3 software (its a sandisk....).

I think that is all... might have tried some other things but to no avail either. There isn't a whole lot out there about this laptop so I haven't found anything searching the web (Sager laptops are built off the Clevo machines, for background info).

If anybody has any ideas to try let me know! Would be nice to get this working. I did get Windows on a USB stick to boot, though I haven't tried that stick yet for Linux so I'll probably do that next as well.

Oh and it may take a bit of time for me to try the things you all post. After I get off work I usually work out and by then its semi late and I am not always in the mood to try and fix things... lol.

Thanks!

Edited by DeimosChaos, 08 September 2015 - 08:03 AM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,993 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

I am not sure this is your problem but I have a sandisk glide that acts as a local disk instead of removable disk when attached to windows and the only program that would recognize it to create a bootable USB was Rufus. In UEFI make sure to disable anything called Fastboot/Quickboot if it enabled. 

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:39 AM

Hmm... I actually think I tried Rufus as well, but I think fastboot/quickboot is enabled. I will look into that and give it a try as well! Thanks!

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

If anybody has any ideas to try let me know!

Ideas:
1. Try all the USB ports. You could have a bad port, some of your ports might not be bootable, or your flash drive might be USB2.0 (my understanding is that some USB2.0 flashdrives won't boot in USB3.0 ports. I have one I suspect to be like this, but I have been too lazy to test it in a USB2.0 port.).
2. Try a different flashdrive, preferably one you have booted from before.
3. Disable fast-startup in Windows, it can sometimes prevent other operating systems accessing storage devices, which can also lead to problems booting.
4. Try using dd (in your Linux installation) to write the ISO onto the flashdrive. This is what I normally do, rather than use any creator tools. While it isn't as nice, it works even when creator tools fail. Of course, be careful to make sure you write to the correct drive.

Formatted it to FAT32.

What partition table is the flashdrive using? Since you've disabled UEFI, the flashdrive should be formatted with an MBRPT (aka MBR). Some tools may still work using GPT while booting in BIOS mode, because they can write the the flashdrives protective MBR. If you're going to boot in UEFI mode then you must use GPT.

#5 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:14 PM

If anybody has any ideas to try let me know!

Ideas:
1. Try all the USB ports. You could have a bad port, some of your ports might not be bootable, or your flash drive might be USB2.0 (my understanding is that some USB2.0 flashdrives won't boot in USB3.0 ports. I have one I suspect to be like this, but I have been too lazy to test it in a USB2.0 port.).
2. Try a different flashdrive, preferably one you have booted from before.
3. Disable fast-startup in Windows, it can sometimes prevent other operating systems accessing storage devices, which can also lead to problems booting.
4. Try using dd (in your Linux installation) to write the ISO onto the flashdrive. This is what I normally do, rather than use any creator tools. While it isn't as nice, it works even when creator tools fail. Of course, be careful to make sure you write to the correct drive.

Formatted it to FAT32.

What partition table is the flashdrive using? Since you've disabled UEFI, the flashdrive should be formatted with an MBRPT (aka MBR). Some tools may still work using GPT while booting in BIOS mode, because they can write the the flashdrives protective MBR. If you're going to boot in UEFI mode then you must use GPT.

1. Yeah I may have been using the 2.0 in a 3.0... I think when I got windows to boot off the flash drive it was in the 2.0. I'll be sure to use it in the 2.0.

2. Yup will be doing this as well!

3. Need to do this... I think I saw a fastboot option in the bios.

4. Ironically I had originally though of using dd, but then never tried it.

I am not sure what it was using actually... I had formatted it via gparted then I believe I had formatted it again in windows when trying out a different Linux distro. I'll make sure of what partition table it has.

Thanks for the help!

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:36 PM

Thanks hollowface! Looks like I just needed to partition it to the right partition table... it was msdos before.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

Glad you've got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users