Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I want to stream Comcast

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wh0

Wh0

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:16 AM

without spending the $30 a month I'm currently paying them to rent their equipment.  It reminds me back in the 50's and 60's when you were forced to rent your telephones from the phone company.

Is there a Company  I can buy a HD decoder from?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:51 PM

Best thing to do is take a look at the basics of cord cutting and see if it's something you want to do.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-quit-cable-for-online-streaming-video/

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:33 PM

So you want to own the set top box instead of leasing? Or do you want to cut the cord and stream the same kind of content that Comcast offers? There is a difference.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

I want to own the box, unfortunately I'm to lazy to program my entertainment, xfinity makes it easy to find yesterdays shows that I missed.

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

There are advantages to leasing a digital box from your cable company as opposed to buying one. For one thing, those things aren't cheap and you still have to pay for programming. Also, when you lease a box and the cable company updates to newer technology, they just take the old box back. When you own it, that's it. The only way to upgrade is to buy a new box. So though it may rankle some to rent a box, it is a myth that buying one is cheaper. 

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

From http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Comcast-Policy/td-p/2596305

Only Tivo DVR's are sold at retail, a cable card box from Samsung, along with cable card pc tuners available for purchase. These all accept a Comcast supplied cable card. A cable card is the authorization device that allows only the channels available on your digital tier to be watched. Cable card monthly fee's are around 3/4 the cost of a leased cable box. Anything sold at retail will not work without a Comcast supplied cable card, since Comcast's digital signal is encrypted.

No other retail boxes are available, so anything available at online auction sites and other online sellers are of questionable source and would not be activated by Comcast. There are many places these boxes from from including garage sales, "fell off the truck" and from Canada.

Comcast's official statement is at this sticky which is a little outdated.
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/Can-I-buy-my-own-DVR-or-cable-box/m-p/2401979

The outdated part possibly refers to some of the equipment listed in the first post.

The second post in the sticky is still valid. Simply put, if you purchase a box from anywhere, you run the risk of being scammed if Comcast will not activate the box.

If you want to own the equipment you will have to purchase a TIVO

There is a monthly fee for TIVO service which is a lot less than what Comcast (and other cable companies) charge.

You would need a cable card from Comcast for the TIVO.  More information on cable card is here http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/

One thing about a TIVO if you watch On Demand: make sure you find out if the your area supports On Demand with a TIVO. At one time only select areas could but that may have changed to add new areas or all Comcast service areas.

To add to what Frank said if you purchase a TIVO and the box dies, you will either have to purchase another one or go back to renting one from Comcast.

If you rent the box from Comcast and it needs to be replaced you get another one from Comcast without charge.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 09 September 2015 - 10:44 AM.

#7 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:51 AM

Comcast provides my home internet, I have my own router, I've saved enough in monthly rent to buy three more routers.

Thank you for the information, I wasn't able to get a straight answer from the local Comcast reps on buying my own equipment.

#8 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:15 AM

CableCARD Frequently Asked Questions

What is a CableCARD?
A CableCARD is a one-way device roughly the size of a credit card that can be used with a compatible device to access XFINITY TV services without leasing a Comcast set-top box or DTA. Comcast supports CableCARD compatible devices, such as TiVo, Ceton or Silicondust equipment; and CableCARD-ready televisions. If you subscribe to XFINITY TV service, you have the option of purchasing a CableCARD-compatible device from a retailer or you can lease a Comcast set-top box or DTA

With Ceton , it appears I would need to set up a Media Center and connect all the TV's from that. 

Silicondust offers a few other options.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:37 AM

Local reps and many of the phone reps do seem to be clueless about a lot of things.

ComcastTed is at the corporate level, in Philadelphia.

He is involved in the TV side of Comcast, which is why he can provide a straight answer.

#10 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:10 AM

I used to play word feud on my Verizon powered iPhone, data usage every month was push 12g, since I quit playing my data is down to 4g.  Streaming and Verizon gives me chills

#11 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

Looks like a member of Congress reads these forums :clapping:

#12 Wh0

Wh0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 03:07 AM

Major Update 

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/buy-your-own-cable-box-radio-motherboard-fcc?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

The Federal Communications Commission on February 18 issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would make it so that consumers wouldn’t have to rent a set-top box from their cable company.

Although this is just the first step in a lengthy process, the prospect of being able to own your own cable box, just as you’re able to own your own cable modem or smartphone, already has supporters of the measure giddy with excitement.

And that’s great, of course, but I wanted to lean more about the possible implications of being able to own my own set-top box. (I’d have to get cable first, but that’s another matter.) I’d expect to see lower prices as a result of competition among hardware makers, but is that all? What happens when more and more people, from different communities, can afford cable? Might networks be encouraged to create more diverse programming? Heck, what are the odds that the cable companies will fight this tooth and nail (spoiler: it’s a lock), and why?

#13 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

The Federal Communications Commission on February 18 issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would make it so that consumers wouldn’t have to rent a set-top box from their cable company.

That link is a couple months old. ACA is still stalling;

On March 16, 2016, the American Cable Association (ACA) filed a motion to extend the established comment and reply comment deadlines by 30 days.4 ACA argues a 30-day extension is in the public interest because it and its members need more time to fully evaluate and respond to the “complex technical questions” presented in the Navigation Choice NPRM. 5 ACA suggests that this is particularly true for small cable operators because “industry vendors that could aid in understanding key aspects of the proposal likely will prioritize their assistance during this short comment window to their larger customers.”6 ACA also notes that in two other instances where the Commission sought comment on the implementation of Section 629, it afforded more time for comment."

Edited by Trikein, 02 June 2016 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users